PDA

View Full Version : Indexing Wheel????

John Terefenko
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Anyone out here use them??? If so are there some simple formulas to help determine the setup for predetermined holes in a piece. Is there a site to reference this or is this just basic math???? How do you use yours??? I have a 72 and 20 hole comination wheeel set up on a Jet mini lathe. Any help is appreciated Thanks in advance.

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2008, 9:51 AM
John - I did some searches but wasn't able to locate an indexing chart for your lathe. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to figure out... 360* to a circle, so with the 72 hole wheel, each hole represents 5 degrees; with the 20 hole wheel, each hole represents 18 degrees. Hope that helps some.

John Terefenko
01-16-2008, 5:29 PM
Steve thanks. Maybe I should have just made this a basic question as How do you use the indexing wheel feature??? What I don't get is how do you figure the number of spaces you leave before you insert the pin for every hole you want to drill. As an example. If I had a 12" platter that I want to put say 8 dowels of different colors around the rim. Is there a method to determine where they go and what pins or holes to use on the wheel. Not sure if my question makes sense.

Richard Madison
01-16-2008, 10:50 PM
John,
Eight dowels means you will have 8 equal spaces. 360 degrees divided by 8 equals 45 degrees per space between dowels. Since your 72 hole index wheel is 5 degrees between holes, nine spaces equals 45 degrees.

Suppose you wanted to have 10 dowels instead of 8. Then 360 degrees divided by ten equals 36 degrees between dowels. That would be two spaces on the 20-hole index wheel.