PDA

View Full Version : Planer knives question (Delta TP305)

Jason Scott
01-15-2008, 5:49 PM
Hello everyone,

Been lurking a while, love the site and the knowledge. Recently I had a bunch of tear out from my 12.5" delta planer...I swapped the double edged knives and that took care of it, but I don't think I have used the machine that much so I was wondering how long, "on average" are knives suppose to last before dulling to the point of tear out, etc.? I know a lot of variables are at work, but just on average, I run mostly black walnut through the board, and some rock maple every know and then if that helps the estimate.

Also are there a "better" set of knives that will fit this machine besides the OEM Delta blades? They have 3 detents which makes it really easy to change, but does that also limit me to only using the stock blades? Reason I ask is b/c someone told me the stock Delta blades were not very good, I don't have enough experience to know, thanks for any help!

Jason

Jason Scott
01-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Anyone know, just trying to get an answer thanks,

Jason

Mike Marcade
01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I really have no idea how long, but the knives probably are not quite sharp enough from the factory.

Do you sharpen them yourself?

You might try sharpening them or getting them sharpened before you put the new knives in and see how long they last?

Jason Scott
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Mike, thanks, where would I go to sharpen them? Thanks again,

Jason

Mark Vaughn
01-17-2008, 1:15 PM
jason you probably have to send them off somewhere to get them sharpened. it costs about $25 to have them sharpened.

glenn bradley
01-17-2008, 1:32 PM
Mike, thanks, where would I go to sharpen them? Thanks again,

Jason
Your location is not listed in your profile so it makes it kinda hard to know where you are. A method I have used is to go to the local cabinet shops and ask them where they have their sharpening done and how they like it. Once I get the same answer a few times, I figure that's my best bet.

Mike Marcade
01-17-2008, 3:46 PM
Our local Woodcraft will send them out to a good fairly local sharpening service, but since your location is still unknown, I can't help you much on that one.

Personally I just invested in the Makita 9820-2 sharpener so I can sharpen the knives myself.

Curt Harms
01-17-2008, 7:26 PM
I'm pretty sure they use the same blade as the22-560 and similar to the 22-580 except the -580 is 13". They're narrow and thin with 3 oblong holes in them. I have a little honer I've used with some success just to touch them up. I did see a homemade jig one time that held 2 blades in a V shaped jig and the bevels parallel. Guy used a flat block and silicon carbide sandpaper to sharpen them. I haven't had any durability problems with my Delta 22-580 knives. I had read lots of complaints about the DeWalt "super benchtop" planer knives.

HTH

Curt

Jason Scott
01-17-2008, 7:47 PM
Thanks guys, yeah new blades are only 27.00 so I guess I'll just get new when it is time. My location is Louisville, KY, I'll edit my profile, thanks!