PDA

View Full Version : Contractor Trash Bags vs DC - thank goodness!

Art Mulder
01-15-2008, 2:49 PM
Yesterday, I planed a bunch of pine:
(Reclaimed waterbed frame actually. Picked from the trash last summer. Free wood is good.)

A little while later, I occured to me that I should probably check on my DC, since planing is well known for generating buckets and buckets of shavings. I've got myself a 2HP Toolex single stange DC which works great. (Of course, Toolex is gone now. Second major tool I've bought only to have the company go away just a couple years later. Anyone else remember Trademaster? -- these were both Canadian importers folks, so my US friends can ignore this bit)

It's a good thing I checked, as the dust bag was full to the top. I'm not kidding.

It was a bit tricky getting it out of that corner without spilling, but fortunately there was a fair bit of excess bag wrapped around the DC "collar" under the clamp.

Even more fortunate was the fact that this was my first foray into using "contractor grade" trash bags for my DC.

They were a bit pricey for the box (forget the price, but certainly more than a few bucks.) but now that I've emptied the DC once, I really really endorse using these.

Since I first bought my DC I have never used just the stock bags. The top bag was replaced with an oversized heavier duty 1 micron bag. For the bottom I went out and bought some big leaf bags. Those bags are not that strong, so I would just put them inside the stock fabric bag and clamp them both into place, and voila! Cheap and big. It worked okay for a year, but I noticed that I always had to be pretty careful when emptying the bag. One nice feature of leaf bags is that they are clear, so you could see through the 'window' in the fabric bag exactly how full it was. But they were also pretty thin, so I never dared fill the bag more than 1/2-2/3 full, and even then I had it tear a bit on me sometimes.

No more. These 3mil contractor bags are expensive, but sure are nice and tough also. It's tough enough that I don't need to wrap the fabric bag around it to prevent bursting under the air pressure. Also, mounting the bag is far easier (the fabric bag is heavy and tends to slip). Also, it's tough enough that it can take a larger load of shavings. I pulled out that full bag of shavings (now I admit, pine shavings are lighter) and the bag didn't complain at all.

Anyone else with a single-bagger DC might want to check these out for themselves.

Greg Cole
01-15-2008, 3:22 PM
Art,
I can attest to slightly overfilling my DC when using the planer too. I built a noise abatement closet for my DC and there's been one or two occasions where I have the thought to check the DC bag well after I should have....:rolleyes:
Last time I had the bag full and the bottom 2 or so inches of the pleated filter were "submerged". Hmmm... no wonder the planer was spitting a few chips out after the end of a board went through the planer.
I always buy the heavy duty and pricey contractor style garbage bags, but never gave it a thought for DC usage....

Greg

Glenn Clabo
01-15-2008, 3:42 PM
Thanks Art...I'm planning on dumping my DC bag this weekend. I'll just replace it with one of the 3mil bags I use for big trash. The next time it will be much nicer.

Dan Hodkinson
01-15-2008, 4:19 PM
Thanks Art,
Learn something new every day. WOW, I am 58yrs young and I cant believe how much more I have to learn. How smart am I going to be by the time I cash my chips in is only a guess. :)
Cant hardly take the pressure.

Steve Leverich
01-15-2008, 4:40 PM
Dan, I'm 62 - I've heard it said that the more you know, the more you know you DON'T know - so my (probably un-attainable)goal is to become a complete idiot before they "pat me in the face with a shovel"... :D Steve