PDA

View Full Version : Add a SMC search box to your I.E. 7 browser

Matt Mutus
01-15-2008, 1:38 PM
I thought this was kinda cool, so thought I would share. You can add a saw mill creek search field right to your browser window (internet explorer 7). This will use the yahoo search engine to find your keywords in the sawmill creek site exclusively, with no 4 letter minimum.

NOTE: I originally posted this to work with Google, however it turned out Internet Explorer liked to screw with the google query, so Yahoo works fine instead.

1) In internet explorer go to Tools > Internet Options > General tab, and find the "Search" field. Click that settings button.

2) in the popup menu, click "Find more providers"

3) A web page will open. Look for the "Create your own" form.

4) Paste this in item #3, (the one that asks you to paste the URL of the search results page).

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=site%3Awww.sawmillcreek.org+TEST

5) Under item #4 type: SMC Yahoo

6) Click install. (If prompted for security reasons, go ahead allow the provider to be installed)

7) Again go to Tools > Internet Options > General > Search > Settings

8) Highlight the SMC Yahoo option and click Set Default (if you don't see the SMC Yahoo option - skip to step 9 then come back to this step)

9) Close all instances of internet explorer then open a new one.

Results....

The newly added SMC Yahoo search box as a permanent part of your browser window

type a seach phrase

results

and if you don't want SMC to be the default search for the IE box... you can just select it using the arrow to the right.

Aaron Koehl
01-16-2008, 3:06 PM
Nice tutorial Matt.

Only problem is, we currently block Yahoo's IPs because they consume the server from hundreds of IP addresses at a time when they crawl, which slows the server down considerably for legitimate traffic.

Google's crawling method is much nicer about it FWIW.

Tom Veatch
01-16-2008, 3:42 PM
If you do what Matt says except use the search string

http://www.google.com/search?domains=sawmillcreek.org&sitesearch=sawmillcreek.org&q=TEST&btnG=Go

it's just like clicking on the "Google SawmillCreek" option under the "Search" entry in the SMC menu bar.

Matt Mutus
01-16-2008, 4:18 PM
ah well.

I originally posted that using the google string, but I found out after restarting IE that it "forgot" the saw mill creek part and just spit out a plain google search. So since I had already opened my big mouth, I did yahoo instead.

I search this site a lot typing site:sawmillcreek.org into google, but I got tired of typing that.

I didn't even notice the google search dropdown here in the site either.

in summary, never mind :o