PDA

View Full Version : Metallic finish plastic

Marc Myer
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm looking to get some laserable metallic finish plastic, but it seems everything I can find is only 1/16" thick. I was hoping to find something 1/8" thick.
Have you found anything that would fit the bill? Looking to get some smooth silver metallic or a brushed aluminum material.
Doing two layers is an option, but that would take more time!
marc

Tony Lenkic
01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Marc,

Rowmark's standard metals and Metalgraph Plus are available in 1/32", 1/16" and 1/8".

TPF (Transfer Print Foil) Prestige line is also available in 1/32", 1/16" and 1/8" and are less expensive if someone on Island stock's it.

Your local distributor may not stock all thicknesses but you can order them from mainland.

Joe Pelonio
01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
This place shows it, look under the table of 1/16" materials.

http://www.maintrophysupply.com/heavymetal.htm

I think it's IPI, their website says "most" are available in 1/8".

http://www.inoplas.com/products/lasershop/heavymetal.asp

Scott Shepherd
01-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Metalgraph Plus, as already mentioned, comes in 1/8" and more of the brushed look. Brushed stainless, nickle, copper, etc. I've had mixed results with it. It cuts very nice, but if the detail level is small, it will delaminate. I worked with Rowmark on the problem and they said that I needed to make the areas between engraving larger to stop it. I had to modify the customers logo to beef up the weak areas to get the material to stick.

If you don't have fine detail, it otherwise cuts very nice.

Ed Maloney
01-25-2008, 1:02 PM
Metalgraph Plus, as already mentioned, comes in 1/8" and more of the brushed look. Brushed stainless, nickle, copper, etc. I've had mixed results with it. It cuts very nice, but if the detail level is small, it will delaminate. I worked with Rowmark on the problem and they said that I needed to make the areas between engraving larger to stop it. I had to modify the customers logo to beef up the weak areas to get the material to stick.

If you don't have fine detail, it otherwise cuts very nice.

Hi folks. Would anyone have the Metalgraph raster and vector settings for a Epilog 35M Mini?

Thanks

Mike Null
01-25-2008, 1:05 PM
IPI and Rowmark both offer 1/8" material. You can buy from Johnson Plastics, JDS and others.

Scott Shepherd
01-25-2008, 1:09 PM
I don't have the setting for a 35 watt, but for the 45 watt, I used 90S and 25P. You could probably start with 35P (rastering). For vector, I used

That should get you close. Vector I used 45P, 5S and 300DPI (frequency). That works a little different than the Epilog, but it should get you close. Probably up the power another 10 and give it a test.

Hope that helps get you started. I had very fine detail on the things I did, so I had to be a little delicate with the settings.