PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit Joining or Pocket Screws

Keith Strong
01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I am just a weekend worrier and stuck between buying a 5/32" slot cutter for my router table to cut biscuits slots or purchasing a pocket screw kit. I was actually going to buy the woodcraft slot cutter but I was told that the Kreg pocket screw kit would be a lot easier and better. Before I make any decisions I have to get the consensus from the experts at SMC. Also a designated biscuit joiner is slightly out of the budget.
Here is the slot cutter:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20323

Scott Whiting
01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Biscuits are very doable with a slot cutter but the learning curve is much greater than with a proper biscuit jointer. Given your budget limitations I would definitely go with the pocket holes. Personally I can afford the biscuit jointer but the pocket holes system is, IMHO, much more versatile so I have the K3 Kreg. One thing to note is the drill does indeed work much better at the recommended rpm so you will want a corded drill.

Rob Wright
01-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I am a weekend warrior as well - I have a PC biscuit jointer and a Kreg Jig. Since getting the Kreg, I use biscuits infrequently (less than once per year). I use the Kreg for almost all projects - sometimes only on jigs and fixtures - but it is used all the time. Very versatile - and no clamping required for glue ups of face frames and carcases.

My $0.02 - go with the Kreg.

- Rob

Alan Tolchinsky
01-15-2008, 10:25 AM
What Scott said is right. But if you want to do this even cheaper just get a generic pocket hole jig. I think one is made by "Jig It" co. or similar. It comes with the drill bit, alum. holder, and some screws. Just do a Google search for "pocket holes" . There are less expensive alternatives to the Kreg jig even thought the Kreg is probably the best.

Prashun Patel
01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Pocket screws are a snap to use and they're instant - no clamping; gluing largely optional.

However, IMHO, they're best suited to face frames or places where you can hide one side of the joint. The screw holes - while neat and uniform, do make the project look unfinished if exposed.

Also note that you need pocket hole screws - which are self-tapping, panhead or washerhead screws. The self tapping ends are necessary to prevent wood splitting; the pan head is necessary to pull the pieces together. Also note that finding pocket screws or selftapping ones that'll fit the hole can be a tad tricky; I've always had to order mine on line; BORG and BLOWES don't carry them near me.

The pocket screw jig is also a lot easier to take to yr workpiece if necessary.

I'd get the Kreg Rocket kit. The face clamp might seem like an extravagance, but it really speeds assembly.

If yr really intent on biscuits (if it were me) I'd save up for a proper biscuit joiner.

Ray Meche
01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Biscuits have their place, but pocket holes are quicker, more versatile, cheaper, and you don't need glue. Eventually you might want both, but you can still use pocket holes in visible places. You just need to get stainable plugs. Actually they can look pretty nice when done right, but they are not always appropriate. Mileage may vary.

The K3 is nice, but expensive for occasional use. If you are doing a ton of pocket holes go for it. Otherwise skip the Rocket and go for the Kreg R3. It doesn't come with the clamp, but you can put pockets in peculiar places by holding in place with screws. Also, it has built in stock thickness adjustment and a clamp holder so you can get go from piece to piece fast. Carrying case is ok with a quick guide for your bit stop. With face frame clamp (a must) you are still under $60. Great system for the price. Not to mention you can get it at Lowes now even though I got mine from Rockler with 20% off. :D Prices are the same.

BTW if it were me I would stay away from generic pocket systems. I made the mistake of buying one from Grizzly initially and the soft guides tore up instantly making it virtually useless.:mad: If you go pocket hole you go Kreg.

Just my 2 cents. GL

Steveo O'Banion
01-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I grew up on dowels, went to biscuits about 20 years ago and am a recent convert to pocket holes (bought my Kreg K3 yesterday). I'm building my wifes kitchen (2nd one, kitchen that is:D) and really like the speed that pocket holes give you. They can be done well with the less costly Kreg jigs. A good friend uses the $40.00 Kreg R3 and showed me his. I bought the K3 because I'm doing the kitchen and some built-ins throughout the house.

I'm keeping the biscuit joiner so I can edge glue boards that are too wide for the planer. It's still faster than dowels, and can be used in an application where I need to hide my fastener.

Keith Strong
01-15-2008, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the great info, The Kreg pocket screws it is. I will have to run over to woodcraft when I get a chance. Definitely sounds like the easiest to use. Thanks for your help, I knew I could trust you guys.

Jim Niedermeier
01-15-2008, 2:33 PM
Re the comment about corded drill. I have two 18V cordless drills and had been using one to drill the pockets. Before Christmas I viewed my weekly email coupons from Harbor Freight and saw they had a 3/8" close quarters drill with a keyless chuck for $39.95 w/ a coupon. Very similar to the Milwaukee or Sioux goose neck. Being more than just a bit of a tool snob, and accustomed to those wretched pinkish/orangish H.F. tools, I was shocked to learn that they had come out with a new high end drill with a magnesium head and deep rich blue color. I tempted fate and made the plunge and that higher RPM drill does those pocket holes SO MUCH better. In addition, that close quarters drill is at the perfect angle to match up with the jig. While I still am not in love with the appearance of pocket holes, they are definitely a part of my shop If you haven't popped for the Kreg, I find the Penn State version to be a modestly priced alternative. Never mind that I bought mine off the clearance rack for a pittance. Just do what I say, not what I do! :D

John Seiffer
01-15-2008, 2:35 PM
I got an off brand pocket hole set - much cheaper than a Kreg. But check for this: for proper adjustment in different thicknesses of wood, the piece that guides the drill needs to be adjustable up and down or the screw hole won't be in the center of the thickness. (It makes more sense if you know what I'm talking about). However mine doesn't adjust up and down - some off brands do.

Mine is always set for 3/4 thick stock - not that this has stopped me from using it in thicker stock - the screw just doesn't come out in the center.

Brian Dormer
01-15-2008, 2:59 PM
Both systems have their place. But if you are on a budget, then pocket screws are the way to go. All you need is the one-hold Kreg jig, a Kreg clamp, the step drill bit and some Kreg screws and you are all set. Don't be tempted to try drywall screws - they don't work anywhere near as well as the Kreg screws.