PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Installing Amerock Full Inset, Partial Wrap Door Hinges?

Jim Kaczmark
01-15-2008, 9:39 AM
I'm just about ready to set up my "workflow" for installing inset doors on my Kitchen cabinet job. My wife likes the look of the traditional hinge versus a concealed hinge. Before I begin my experimenting, I thought I'd ask if any of you had any tips, or lessons learned when installing these hinges (Amerock Full Inset, Partial Wrap, Design series 3180).

My face frames and doors will both be 3/4". The hinges adjust two ways: Left & Right, and Up & Down, but not in & out. I'm thinking of this process:

1) Complete final trimming to square door to face frame including desired reveal between face frame & door.
2) Either A) measure, B) make a jig, or C) use the hinge itself and a vix bit and simply pre-drill pilot holes for the screws.
3) Thickness of the Amerock hinge is 1/16". If desiring a 3/32 reveal, I'm then thinking of placing a 1/32" shim between the door and hinge & snugly attaching the door to the hinge so that the all of the "play" in the hinge's "left and right" adjustments is pushed all the way against the shim & hinge.
4) I'd then install the hinges to the face frame just tight enough to hold the door firmly, but loose enough so I could slightly tap it up & down soa 3/32" shim could be fitted between the bottom of the door and rail below the door.
5) Carefully open the door back up again & tighten the screws to lock in the up & down movement.

What do you think? Any tips or tricks you could add to this procedure?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Kaczmark