PDA

View Full Version : Drawer inside another drawer?

James Suzda
01-15-2008, 7:53 AM
Awhile ago I pulled out a display cabinet drawer at a BORG and there was a drawer inside another drawer feature. I would like to duplicate this idea for a silverware drawer in our kitchen.
Has anyone ever done this and where would you find the small slides for the inner drawer? Or would you just have the inner drawer slide in some grooves along the sides of the main drawer?

Bill White
01-15-2008, 9:02 AM
You can buy the silverware drawer, two tiered, from a "Rev-A-Shelf" distributor.
Bill

Paul Greathouse
01-15-2008, 9:08 AM
Awhile ago I pulled out a display cabinet drawer at a BORG and there was a drawer inside another drawer feature. I would like to duplicate this idea for a silverware drawer in our kitchen.
Has anyone ever done this and where would you find the small slides for the inner drawer? Or would you just have the inner drawer slide in some grooves along the sides of the main drawer?

The only ones I have seen didn't have mechanical slides. There were wood runners attached to the inside drawer sides and the smaller inside drawer slid back and forth on these runners.

There probably are mechanical slides now but I haven't seen them. Try Rockler.com or one of the other woodworking websites.

Lee Koepke
01-15-2008, 9:11 AM
I am going to build one for my shop. My plan was to just use wood runners. Usually those smaller 'drawers' dont carry much weight, so the sliding wont be too difficult

Mark Singer
01-15-2008, 9:32 AM
They are easy to make. Just make a key and allow the sides of the smaller drawer to slide in them. Shallower depth

Jamie Buxton
01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Generally those inner drawers are just trays that slide along runners fastened to the inner faces of the outer drawer sides. The tray isn't captured like a conventional drawer. It can be lifted out of the outer drawer for access underneath it.

Jim Becker
01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I did that in the NYW jewelry box I built for Professor Dr. SWMBO years ago. The interior drawers just sit on raised "slides" and they can lift out like Jamie describes.