PDA

View Full Version : Not Fine Woodworking, but...

Guy Germaine
01-15-2008, 7:50 AM
It was a fun little project anyway. BIL loves lighthouses, and his birthday is coming up, so I built him this. It has a hole in the top where you put a solar powered sidewalk light.

http://www.fototime.com/BEB8B6189DB0E67/standard.jpg

Darrell Jones
01-15-2008, 9:16 AM
It does look like fun. How did you get the black stipe so uniform spiraling up the walls? Better not let my wife see that or I will be making one too. :D

Don Bullock
01-15-2008, 9:22 AM
That looks fine to me. Nice job.

glenn bradley
01-15-2008, 9:25 AM
Guy, that looks great. Put a smile on my face. I enjoy using my tools and developing skills for a bit of that sort of thing. It is sure to put a smile on your BIL's face too.

Chris Padilla
01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Plywood? MDF? Obviously, it is made to withstand the weather. Nice little project...those can be a lot of fun and they are different! It is also fun to make stuff for kids.

Guy Germaine
01-15-2008, 11:20 AM
It does look like fun. How did you get the black stipe so uniform spiraling up the walls? Better not let my wife see that or I will be making one too. :D

That piece contains 12 pieces, 4" wide with a 15* bevel on each side. I cut all the pieces, then laid them on the bench and numbered them. I then marked the black stripes on them while they were laying flat. When I assembled it, I did it in pairs and made sure that the numbering was correct. Once I had it glued up into a cylinder, the stripes were marked and ready to paint. Then I just used blue painters tape.

John Thompson
01-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Depends on what you consider fine, Guy. Anyone that has worked with hexagons.. octaganals.. etc. knows there is some sense of "fine" to get them where they need to be. Becasue it is made of ply and painted doesn't mean it didn't require some "finer" points of woodworking that not everyone can duplicate.

And it looks great...... if your BIL is not happy with it, I would be extremely surprised. And on a foot-note.. the next time you do any piece you now know that you are not limited to simply square and have built some confidence to "go for it" if the piece requires that.

Again.... looks great!

Sarge..

Larry Fox
01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Very nice - lighthouses are cool things. Your BIL should be very pleased Looks to be inspired by Cape Hatteras (only one I am aware of with that color scheme and spirals).

Dave Dionne
01-15-2008, 1:23 PM
Guy

Very Cool I make lighthouses also mine are of a little different design but fun to build

PS this is my helper and painter how I hate to paint and she loves it, her mom is great at it also

Dave
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/Daveswoodcraft/Woodworking/DSCN2668.jpg