PDA

View Full Version : Drilling large holes in router table plate

Russell Tribby
01-15-2008, 12:54 AM
I just got my 3 1/4 HP Freud plunge router in the mail. I am going to mount it in my router table extension wing. The wing has a metal Bench dog plate in it so I'm not worried about the weight of the router causing any sagging issues. My question is this - how do I drill the 51/64" hole that is required for the above the table adjustement wrench? I am pretty sure that my drill press won't take a bit that large. Any suggestions?

glenn bradley
01-15-2008, 1:01 AM
I take my plates to the local machine shop. $20 for a hole may seem steep but not near as much as buying a new plate and then having to pay $20 to have the hole CNC'd. Of course, I'm talking about my ham-handed self here. There are many folks who would drill that hole without a second thought. I'm just not one of them and know my feeble limitations ;-)

Wade Lippman
01-15-2008, 9:55 AM
I just got my 3 1/4 HP Freud plunge router in the mail. I am going to mount it in my router table extension wing. The wing has a metal Bench dog plate in it so I'm not worried about the weight of the router causing any sagging issues. My question is this - how do I drill the 51/64" hole that is required for the above the table adjustement wrench? I am pretty sure that my drill press won't take a bit that large. Any suggestions?

You are talking about the aluminum insert? A holesaw will go through that easily enough.

JayStPeter
01-15-2008, 10:03 AM
They make big bits that'll fit your drill press. When drilling large holes in Al, just make sure you have the piece clamped down well and control your feed rate. The bit likes to catch right when the "wings" at the widest part of the bit tip enter. Using a DP with the piece clamped down you won't really have that problem, but using a handheld drill you might.

Jay

Russell Tribby
01-15-2008, 9:50 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up going to Lowe's and getting a holesaw and drilling it myself. It turned out fine. Now the monster is in place and ready to roll!