PDA

View Full Version : McMaster-Carr shipping

Jim O'Dell
01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
An update on McMaster-Carr shipping. The first time I ordered, I emailed them and received a shipping quote. The second time I ordered and did the same, but was told they didn't do this anymore. The third order I used their comment section to ask about a shipping estimator. No response. This current order I repeated that concern and request, and got this email reply:

"Jim,
You can request a shipping quotation prior to placing your order by
emailing (atl.sales@mcmaster.com) us with the following information:

- McMaster-Carr items to be order
- Quantity of each item
- Full shipping address

With this information, we will provide a shipping quotation.

-Corrin"

So, I guess they will do it again. This may help those of you that are contemplating an order from them. Jim.

Rick Gifford
01-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Good to know. I ordered some HSS rods and they couldn't give me a shipping price. Had to wait until invoice showed it.

Maybe too many folks have bugged them and they changed back.

Steve knight
01-15-2008, 1:22 AM
I never worry much about it. well if I ordered big things from them I could see it but most of the time shipping is very reasonable and since you get it the next day cheaper then anyone else.

Ken Deckelman
01-15-2008, 7:19 AM
I never worry about it either from them, EVERYTIME I get something shipped from them I am amazed how cheap the shipping is, and it usually shows up the day after I order it also.

Doug Shepard
01-15-2008, 7:34 AM
I never worry much about it. well if I ordered big things from them I could see it but most of the time shipping is very reasonable and since you get it the next day cheaper then anyone else.

I never worry about it either from them, EVERYTIME I get something shipped from them I am amazed how cheap the shipping is, and it usually shows up the day after I order it also.

Same here and their S&H cost is usually actual (and their discounted rate) cost rather than a flat rate based on purchase amount, where you can sometimes pay ridiculous $7-8 fees for something that ends up stuffed in the US mail for $1.50.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-15-2008, 7:47 AM
McMaster-Carr is mainly set up to supply products to commercial entities versus the residential consumer. You may see multiple charges on your credit card. First for the products, then shipping, then sales tax (if you live in NJ).

They have a "will call" desk to pick up an order if you live near central NJ, but you must first call-in the order. Also, finding the Will Call desk at their new facility is not easy either!

As I mentioned above, they are not set up for the general consumer, but their prompt service, unique inventory and comprehensive in-stock inventory is great.

Grainger is a similar source with stores located throught the US. They generally require a tax number to purchase from them, but they are soft on this requirement. Even their website indicates so.

-Jeff :)

Greg Just
01-15-2008, 8:27 AM
I recently purchased some casters from Grainger. It was promptly greeted at the counter, help was good, they had what I wanted in stock, in fact if I wanted more, they were willing to get it from another Grainger across town that same day. Good experience and would definitely use them again.

David Weaver
01-15-2008, 9:02 AM
McMaster Carr has never provided me with shipping estimates, but I live 125 miles from their Ohio location, and I've never had reason to question their shipping because it's far cheaper than I could ship the same package.

I wouldn't worry about it ordering things from them. I would imagine most of their commercial accounts don't care what the shipping is because they need the materials regardless.

That said, I have never gotten anything from them and been surprised by anything other than how little the shipping is when I get the package.

They're a first class operation and they have their logistics down, for sure.