PDA

View Full Version : update on cracked bowl

Bill Bolen
01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I'd made an earlier post asking about an elm bowl that cracked badly while bagged and drying. The crack opened at a bark inclusion and I asked if I should pitch it or attempt a repair. Taking all your advice I mixed coffee with epoxy and plugged the crack. That was a few days ago and I started the finish turning process this afternoon. So far its holding great! The epoxy/coffee blend is really adding something to this.Thanks all for the great advice. I'll post another pic when completed.....Bill...

Bill Embrey
01-14-2008, 11:12 PM
That is going to look great when finished... and you thought it was firewood ;)

Harvey M. Taylor
01-15-2008, 1:03 AM
I had that happen not long ago. I just drilled a line of holes down each side of the crack, boot eyelet style. Then got a leather shoelace and made it look like it was laced up like a boot. Sold it to the first person that saw it, didnt even get to show it to anyone else.still trying to get other bowls to crack. Max

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2008, 9:10 AM
I had the same thing exactly happen on a piece of mesquite. Works great and makes a great conversation piece.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2008, 9:27 AM
That epoxy and coffee grounds turns as smooth as silk too! Nicely done.

robert hainstock
01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Keep on keepin on.:):)
Bob

Brian Brown
01-15-2008, 2:59 PM
Looks really good. Just a thought though... When you get the outside done, you may want to wrap it with some glass filament tape. When you are working on the inside, and the walls are getting thinner, it might just decide to fly south for the winter. The tape may save some smashed fingers, or bruised ribs. let's hope it doesn't come apart, because it will be beautiful.

Bill Bolen
01-15-2008, 4:22 PM
Good advice Brian and I will take it!....Thanks...Bill...

Ben Gastfriend
01-15-2008, 5:07 PM
Wow, looks like the coffee solution worked for ya! Can't wait to see the finished product!