PDA

View Full Version : run time estimation help - how do I find sum of length of vectors in a .cdr file?

Matt Barinholtz
01-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Really enjoying this forum - thanks to the countless posts that have brought me up to "speed" in the last couple of years...

Doing a lot of paper cutting - I job out the work to a faraway friend, and can't always get an "air cut" job time quote from an emailed file in time for a customer.

Would like to get a count of linear inches of vectors in a file, so I can plug in to rough estimates. Not raster engraving - only cutting.

I know that curves cut slower than straight lines, and more nodes = longer file time. There are few patterns, so estimating a subset of "parts" and extrapolating the run time from those is not possible...

I know my feeds and speeds - it would be great if there was a "vector tally" and "job timer" out there. Anyone know of something that might work?

Thanks!

Duane Parcells
01-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi Matt

I'm trying to fix import problems with CorelDraw and ran in to this. It will do what you want as a side utility. Dig a little on Google and you can find a free 14 day trial. The name is CurveWorks.

Duane

Mike Hood
01-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I usually run a job "dry" (no power, no material) if I'm concerned that my estimate is off.

It's very little wear and tear on the machine and gives me a really close idea. I also save the job logs for all jobs I take on so I can estimate based on similar runs. I charge $2.00/min for vector time and $1.00-$1.50/min for engraving. It usually works in my favor in the end.

If a customer wants a firm estimate, I'll dry-run it and charge them the shop rate ($65/hour) with a half hour minimum. Again... that works in my favor.

Jakub Borowicz
01-15-2008, 6:40 PM
Someday I have found "macro" for Corel, for measure the lenght of curves. You need only install it in Corel, select curve (or group of curves) and run. I tried in Corel 12 and it works. It shows length in "mm" and amount of nodes. Converting mm into inches is easy - 1 mm = 0.0394''
How to install? unpack and put in Program Files/Corel/CorelGraphics12/Draw/GMS (path may be diffrent in your system),
then open Corel , and install . I don't have english version of Corel, therefore I can't exactly explain what next to do, but I'm sure someone will help.
Zipped macro is in attachment (DD.gms )

Carl Sewell
01-15-2008, 7:06 PM
I modified the macro for English language and units.

Attached.

Matt Barinholtz
01-15-2008, 8:05 PM
All -

Your help is greatly appreciated - I will install the options and give you feedback in the coming days - extremely helpful!

This is a fantastic forum!

Best,

Matt