PDA

View Full Version : MY 1000th POST (w/ SHOP PIC and OLD ARN gloat)

Rob Will
01-14-2008, 9:21 PM
Fellow SMC'ers,
For my 1000th post I just wanted to say THANKS for all the advice:D.
Building a wood shop sure requires a lot of planning. In the beginning, I had no idea of what I was getting into....well, come to think of it, I still haven't a clue.

My shop is a long way from "completion" but things are coming along. All worthwhile things take time I suppose:o.

Your advise has caused me to change a few things for the better.
Thank You Thank You Thank You.

The shop is a bit of a mess here but you can see the general layout.
The woodshop occupies 48 x 48 inside of a 48 x 80' building.
That includes a 16 x 28 finishing / assembly room and a 16 x 20 compressor / storage / DC room. The ceiling height is 16'.
The remainder of the building is wood storage and a garage bay with two 16 x 14 overhead doors.

I'm lucky to have 3-phase power which has made finding :DOLD ARN:D a bit easier. I simply wish that I had the skill to go along with the machines:o.
Here's a machine list so far:
Moak Super 36 BS
PM 74A 14" TS
PM 24" 225 planer w/ Byrd head
American 24" jointer
Yates American #13 pattern maker's lathe
Walker Turner radial arm drill press
Maka oscillating chisel mortiser
CarveWright
Timesavers 137 widebelt
Onieda 7.5 HP cyclone
Dewalt CMS, Craftsman 12" BS, Craftsman RAS, HF disc sander......well it gets pretty sad after that:o.

Shop tunes come from an iPod hooked up to an old home stereo from the early 80's. Speakers and el-cheapo subwoofer are mounted on the far wall above the jointer. Stereo is in office (out of picture to left).

Heat and A/C come from a used Lennox Pulse furnace (with additional filters to help with dust control). This furnace works well in the shop because it is sealed and uses only outside air for combustion. The furnace and A/C were takeouts from other jobs - I never throw anything away:o.

Eventually, I hope to make some furniture for my two girls but that's way on down the road.
Maybe when I have as many posts as Jim B. , I will actually have the shop "finished";)LOL.

Thanks again,
Rob

Greg Cole
01-14-2008, 9:26 PM
Rob,
The color of the text applies to the envy of that space.....
Seriously nice looking shop there, what occupies the other half of that hangar?

Cheers.
Greg - who ducks the ducts in his humble 2 car garag...err shop.

Rob Blaustein
01-14-2008, 9:32 PM
Looks awesome Rob! Oh, what I'd give to have to use scaffolding to change the lightbulbs... --Rob

Mike Marcade
01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
That huge shop space makes my garage shop look like ... well ... a garage. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Congrats Rob! I thought I was happy with my little 30x24 shop with 10" ceilings.....

Ted Jay
01-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Congrats Rob! I thought I was happy with my little 30x24 shop with 10" ceilings.....

Rob,
How long do ya think you can wait till ya post again? Trying to keep that 1000 as long as you can? C'mon post:D:D:D
I'm still wondering how Mr Becker has any time to build anything, with 26,000 plus posts.:confused::confused:
Ted

Don Bullock
01-15-2008, 9:20 AM
48' x 48' plus a wood storage area -- WOW!!!!! :eek: That's fantastic.

Man, I'd be happy to have half that space for a dedicated woodworking shop.

Jim Becker
01-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Great looking shop, Rob!!!!

julie Graf
01-15-2008, 11:16 AM
i, too, am jealous of the space!!!

and your shop is a bit of a mess??? OMG, you should see mine! it looks like mr. clean has been to yours in comparison.

cheers.

Ray Meche
01-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, must be nice. Very nice.

Thomas Knighton
01-15-2008, 11:40 AM
My shop is 6'x6'.

Wanna trade? :D ;)

Tom

Jack Camillo
01-15-2008, 12:24 PM
geez, ya got enough room? you dog! Where'd you say you're from? Very nice shop indeed!

Jerry Olexa
01-15-2008, 4:19 PM
I'm envious of your shop space....Looks good...Thanks

Gary Herrmann
01-15-2008, 6:59 PM
...speechless...

Greg Funk
01-15-2008, 7:08 PM
Wow! Great shop, great tools. Now you have no excuses for not making some great projects!

Greg

Rob Will
01-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Rob,
How long do ya think you can wait till ya post again? Trying to keep that 1000 as long as you can? C'mon post:D:D:D
I'm still wondering how Mr Becker has any time to build anything, with 26,000 plus posts.:confused::confused:
Ted

OK Ted, You win...............here's 1001:p.... I can't hold my breath any longer.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments. I have worried about this shop way too much. Time to build something:D.

Rob

Joe Mioux
01-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Ken, How do you fit in that shop with 10 inch ceilings? ;):D:rolleyes::p

Rob, you have a wonderful shop!!! How about a few more pics of the tools and the shop? Please?.

joe

Roy Wall
01-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Rob -

That is a cavernous shop indeed. Congrats on it and some fabulous tools!!

I have a question about the "cushioned" flooring...it looks a bit more industrial than average.......what, where, how? I mainly like it because the pieces look pretty good size - and its not real dark - I'd prefer the cushioned stuff in a light grey to keep the shop well lit.....

Great SHOP!!!!

Rob Will
01-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Rob -

That is a cavernous shop indeed. Congrats on it and some fabulous tools!!

I have a question about the "cushioned" flooring...it looks a bit more industrial than average.......what, where, how? I mainly like it because the pieces look pretty good size - and its not real dark - I'd prefer the cushioned stuff in a light grey to keep the shop well lit.....

Great SHOP!!!!

Hi Roy, the interlocking floor cushion came from Harbor Freight. You can catch it on sale for 50 cents / sq ft ($7.99 / bundle of 4 2'x2' pieces). Don't pay a penny more.

Here's a tip: Go ahead and put down what you need. If you do some now and plan to do more later, the old ones will have stretched a bit and the new ones won't interlock as well.

As far as being industrial, not really. They are "medium" I would say. The color is dark grey but sawdust makes them look lighter. When people come into the shop the cushioned floor draws a lot of happy comments. It makes my feet and knees happy too.

Rob

Rob Will
01-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Ken, How do you fit in that shop with 10 inch ceilings? ;):D:rolleyes::p
Rob, you have a wonderful shop!!! How about a few more pics of the tools and the shop? Please?.

joe

Joe,
I will post some machine pics (soon) after we run some of the DC pipe. Waiting on some special-order lateral wyes right now. (Lucky to have a supply house that carries spiral pipe in the next town).

Thanks for asking,
Rob

Chuck Lenz
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Congradulations on your 1000th posting Rob. But I gotta say nice building, I'm jealous. BIGTIME !

Jim Solomon
01-16-2008, 1:07 PM
What a great looking setup you have. Some serious envy going on right now in my mind;) Plus 3PH power as well! If it where mine, I would find a spot for my easy chair and bed and just move in there:D Congrats!
Jim

Victor Stearns
01-16-2008, 1:16 PM
Just add Sawdust! What a nice shop. I thought Norm A. had a nice shop. Hats off to you! Enjoy!
Victor