PDA

View Full Version : Hvac Quote

Sean Hughes
01-14-2008, 7:27 PM
If anyone has knowledge on the subject, it would be useful. I have a bonus room above our attached garage that is currently unfinished. I would like to eventually finish the space but ran into the issue of HVAC. The new space, approx 400sqft, is too much for the existing single system:(:(. We have central air with gas forced heat. I wanted to see what the collective wisdom here would think are reasonable quotes for the following options:

1) heat and cool just the new space

2) place a new system in the attic, close off the registers to the upstair rooms, and have the new system heat and cool the upstairs including the new space.

I had one company quote $8,300 for option 1 and $23,500 for option 2.

I was a little floored and wondered if these are considered reasonable.

Thanks!!!

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 8:02 PM
Why not put in a new mini split system just for the extra space. Efficient and relatively inexpensive...a few grand at most including installation. This is probably the best solution unless your existing system is old enough to justify replacement and and the ROI from higher efficiencies.

Tom Godley
01-14-2008, 8:19 PM
I have a few thoughts:

I have been very unhappy with HVAC systems installed in attics - they really only work well if the attic is also conditioned space. My current house has one and I wish that I had done it a different way. I knew it was an issue and had the system designed for it -- but I should have insulated the whole attic roof first. I had space issues that forced me to go the attic route - In my case this was an AC only install. Heaters in attics require freeze protection also,

If the single system in the house works well -- do not mess up a good thing.

I do not know how you can remove the second floor off of the original system and not have it be oversized for the remaining square footage -- an oversized AC is a real comfort issue.

I would look into just taking care of the new space - have you looked at any of the new "mini splits" -- Mitsubishi/daikin/samsung all make them. If it will be one large room -- I would look no further. They are very quiet and you can run it when you need it. They also sell heat pump units -- that will take car of the heat. Modern HPs will work even when it gets quite cold outside. They then have electric back up - but in our area you will find that is not a problem. Look into them I think you will be surprised

Mike Williams
01-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Sean - my new 1400 sf shop is getting the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim mini-split system. I'm actually getting a 3 zone (30,000 btu) system, and although I'm only going to use it for AC, it actually is a heat pump and I could use for heating also.

I'm paying about $5,500 for it, including supply and contractor installation. So I'm getting a much bigger system than you need for less money than the options you've been quoted.

Hope that helps. Mike

Sean Hughes
01-15-2008, 8:14 AM
thanks for the replies everyone. I think that the 8,300 was for a split system. I thought that was a bit high though. The other condition is that we may de dividing the area into a couple of rooms. Can these split systems handle divided areas?

Tom Godley
01-15-2008, 3:23 PM
Sean:

A mini-split and a split system are different things.

Google mini-split or Mr. Slim (a brand) this will give you an idea.

You can install multi room units -- they just get more $$$

Mike: That is a great price for 3 zones - Send that guy my way!

Chris Padilla
01-15-2008, 3:56 PM
I've never heard of "split systems" or "mini-splits" but if they are anything like dual zoning, I had that installed a couple years ago along with a new furnace, new high-end A/C (new lineset), two thermostats (up and down stairs). I paid about $5k for everything.

Jim Becker
01-15-2008, 5:24 PM
Chris, you've seen mini split systems a lot, but probably didn't realize what they were...

http://www.airmechanicalinc.com/media/samsung/samsung_dual_zone_mini_ductless_air_conditioner.JP G

In my international travels, you wouldn't believe the number of these things hanging off of even very tall buildings...not pretty, but they do have independent heat and A/C in their dwellings now! (The big piece goes on the outside of the building)