PDA

View Full Version : What to pay?

Jake Helmboldt
01-14-2008, 5:09 PM
OK, I know this is something that gets discussed some and is arbitrary, but do any of you use a general rule for pricing new-in-box but technically "used" equipment? For example a lathe that is a few years old, new-in-box and not the most current model.

1/2 of new price?

3/4 of new price if no major changes to the model?

How do you typically judge a "fair price"? (I know, fair price is when both parties feel they got a good deal).

Thanks, Jake

Wade Lippman
01-14-2008, 5:16 PM
Supply and demand...
Radial arm saw; lots around, nobody wants them. 20%
Contractors table saw; in demand, but a lot of them around. 50%
Festool Domino; none available, everyone want it. 90%

Condition might raise or lower prices 20%

Danny Thompson
01-14-2008, 5:47 PM
Just me, but I'd typically go no more than 60% street price (as opposed to Retail) for the exact same model from an authorized dealer or 50% street price for the current model. And then maybe not. No warranty. Not "old arn," but not the latest and greatest, either.

I mean, to me, NIB tells me there is a really good chance that the original owner got it on a mega-deal clearance that, if you looked around, you could also find.

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2008, 8:23 AM
Jake, I sell my machinery for 50% of what I paid for it.

I keep it in excellent condition, and sell it with the owners manual as well as any spares I have for it.

For example I'm selling my 15 inch cast iron planer for $600, and my GI 6 inch jointer for $400 as I have a Hammer A31 on order.

Regards, Rod.

Brodie Brickey
01-15-2008, 9:04 AM
I keep it in excellent condition, and sell it with the owners manual as well as any spares I have for it.

For example I'm selling my 15 inch cast iron planer for $600
Regards, Rod.

And you're nowhere near me!:p Bummer.

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2008, 9:25 AM
Brody, I think shipping would be a killer to Claifornia!

Regards, Rod.

Joe Chritz
01-15-2008, 11:36 AM
I try to stay around 60% for used and more for a "new used" model. That would be of the cost I can really get one for, not retail.

Some items will get a higher cost because of quality and warranty as well. Something that has great customer service and a lifetime guarantee is still very valuable if in good shape.

Joe