PDA

View Full Version : Antique Oil

Tom Bucanan
01-14-2008, 5:04 PM
Is antique oil food safe when dried?

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2008, 5:10 PM
To the best of my knowledge - all the basic oil and/or water finishes are food safe once they are fully cured, which usually takes around 30 days or so.

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2008, 5:26 PM
Ernie Conover in his book says that is his favorite utlity piece finish. I have used it a couple of times since reading about it. You will have to let it cure for 72 hrs. or longer.

robert hainstock
01-14-2008, 6:33 PM
In his book "Understanding wood finishing", Bob Flexner states:that the FDA lists all the common ingredients used in finishes except solvents that evaporate as being safe for food contact as long as the finish is properly formulated and cured." I wouldn't use anything made in China though. He further notes that all finishes that "cure properly" are safe because a finish that waont cure properly most likely has some harmful ingredient. I use poly for most applications any more and haven"t had any complaints. Good Luck

Ben Gastfriend
01-15-2008, 5:16 PM
I always try to stay on the safe side and only use Salad Bowl Finish, which is specifically meant for the purpose, for anything that will come in contact with food. I might be crazily safe, or I might just be crazy, but it seems like Antique oil is food safe.:confused:

Jim Becker
01-15-2008, 5:34 PM
All finishes sold today are "food safe" (there really isn't any such designation) when fully cured. If you are asking about Minwax Antique Oil finish, it's not oil. It's a wiping varnish and cures like any other oil-based varnish.