PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Gouge

Tom Bucanan
01-14-2008, 4:51 PM
I just got some gift certificates to Craft Supplies and I need to spend them. What bowl gouge would you recommend? I posted a while back about the Kelton interchangable bowl gouge to see if anyone had either used it or had any reaction towards it, but I didn't get any definitive answers. I thought that it was a great value for a 5/8" bowl gouge (a tip and the 'post' is much less than any other gouge) Any advice? If you don't like the new design, what would you recommend?

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-14-2008, 5:29 PM
Get the Elsworth grind! It's the most versital.

Bruce

Bill Wyko
01-14-2008, 5:49 PM
I agree with Bruce. I use The Elsworth about 80% of the time. I'd spend the extra and buy a "Crown Pro PM, Powder Metal". they stay sharp about 3 times longer than HSS. This will pay for itself because while the Elsworth grind it the most versital, it's also the hardest to sharpen IMHO.:)

robert hainstock
01-14-2008, 6:13 PM
I just got a powdered metal gauge, and I totaly agree with the last two posts. And the Elsworth grind is more versitle than the tool I bought. CUSA doesn't sell either. Looking forward to that first bowl. :)
Bob

Dave Rudy
01-14-2008, 8:16 PM
If you dont mind making (or buying) handles, the Thompson 10vs are definitely the way to go. The bowl gouges have exactly the same flute as the Glaser gouges -- they are unbelievable to cut with!

10v tools hold an edge far longer than any of the others. And Doug's prices are extremely competitive. He is extremely responsive, and ships right away.

(No affiliation, just a satisfied customer). If you're going to bump up over HSS, why not go to the top -- and save some money!

Bill Wyko
01-14-2008, 8:31 PM
I'd be curious to see a side by side comparison of the PM VS 10VS. I can usually turn several pieces before I have to sharpen my PM. I've never used the 10vs so I couldn't tell you which is better but tools with the quality of the PM are going to be few and far apart. I'm sure that either is money well spent.:D

George Morris
01-14-2008, 8:50 PM
I vote for Elsworth pro Pm but let clarify I would also buy his DVD on how to use it and also his sharping jig. This will make sharping it easy. I used his gouge for a year befor I took a class with him .He really shows you how versitale it is.

I also want to try one of the thompson gouges only hear good things about them. This a good problem to have how to spend mony!! George

David Wilhelm
01-14-2008, 9:18 PM
Question about Ellsworth. Is the fingernail and Ellsworth grind the same or is the Ellsworth a type of fingernail grind that David does? I'm thinking about getting another gouge and trying a Thompson just not sure what size. I've got a Sorby 1/2" and i dont turn many bowls over 10" so i dont know if i'd need a 5/8. could use some help on this buy... Will........

Wilbur Pan
01-14-2008, 9:31 PM
I'm a beginner at turning, and my only bowl gouge is a 1/2" Thompson bowl gouge with a V groove. I don't have enough experience to speak to edge durability, but I was able to make this with it:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/2173476411_e5e367f49d.jpg

This is my second attempt at making a bowl, and people keep telling me that it's a hard shape to do. I did have issues making this bowl, but I thought it was due to my beginner status. I did orbit this blank once, but managed to salvage it.

Anyway, I love my Thompson bowl gouge.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2008, 9:43 PM
I just got a powdered metal gauge, and I totaly agree with the last two posts. And the Elsworth grind is more versitle than the tool I bought. CUSA doesn't sell either. Looking forward to that first bowl. :)
Bob

Bob,

Like this?........... http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools___Crown___C rown_Ellsworth_Gouge___crown_ellsworth?Args=

I've just received last Friday a PM-Pro Ellsworth. I haven't sharpened it or used it yet. I have a Robert Larson bowl gouge that I had the Ellsworth grind on. The Ellsworth/Irish grind is more versatile IMHO.

Bill Bolen
01-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I've got an Ellsworth too and just got the Thompson 1/2" V and after 2 bowls I haven't had to sharpen the Thompson yet. The Ellsworth I seem to be lucky to get thorugh 1 before a trip to the grinder or a diamond hone. In all fainess though with the big Ellsworth I can hog off a lot of wood in one pass. ....Bill...

Dick Strauss
01-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Tom,
Other than the Thompson gouges, I think the Oneway Mastercut double ended gouges are really nice. The Oneways are made with M4 PM.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools___Oneway___ Oneway_Mastercut_Tool___oneway_mastercut?Args=

Bill W,
Doug's tools are 10% vanadium PM tools and cryo treated.
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/products.asp

Gordon Seto
01-14-2008, 11:02 PM
You can find the wear resistance comparison between 10V and M2 here:
http://www.crucibleservice.com/datash/ds10Vv7b.pdf?CFID=1645262&CFTOKEN=64482756

M4 and M2 here:

http://www.crucibleservice.com/datash/dsM4v8.pdf?CFID=1691222&CFTOKEN=63994926

I don't know whether my interpretation is correct. From the graph M2 is 110 and M4 is 165. M4 is roughly one and a half time over M2; 10V is 3 times over M2. I couldn't find what grade of steel the Crown Pro PM is.

In addition, Thompson is made from higher grade steel with the cryogenic treatment. IIRC, Mark Baker of Woodturning Magazine (UK) did a review on the Thompson tools in the November issue.

Jim Becker
01-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Question about Ellsworth. Is the fingernail and Ellsworth grind the same or is the Ellsworth a type of fingernail grind that David does? ..

A side grind bowl gouge is not really a "fingernail" grind. I feel "Fingernail" would be more appropriate for a spindle gouge designation since the tip angle is very shallow. The Ellsworth grind, an other side-grinds/Irish grinds/whatever-you-prefer-to-call-them has a very steep angle at the tip which allows you to rub the bevel even when deep in a bowl, but also a varying edge as you move back for a wide variety of cuts with the same tool. The shearing cuts, holding the tool at a combination 45º angle to the work surface as well as to your body and using the long edge like a skew are perhaps the most enjoyable part of this tool...you can eliminate a lot of sanding as well as make very, very slight adjustments to the form.

I use my three Ellsworth grind gouges 90% of the time when I turn. And the Crown PM version is the best of my three.

Bob Hallowell
01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm Different I own 3 gouges a psi 1/2 I never use, a crown pm ellsworth grind I keep trying to like but haven't yet.

I always go back to my v-shaped pinnacle 3/8's side grind no matter if I am doing a 6" or 14" bowl. I just like the way it cuts.

Bob

Glenn Hodges
01-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I have a pile of gouges, but use my 5/8 Glacer, and 5/8 Thompson V gouges with an Ellsworth type grind 95% of the time.

David Wilhelm
01-15-2008, 6:15 PM
I have a Sorby. It's called a fingernail grind. Thats where i got the term. I called it sind grind before that. I like the tool Not sure if i've kept the grind liek i should have but I figure if i find the sweet spot and it cut then i'm good. I just want to learn more about the gouges before i buy another one. I really am interested in the Thompson can you explain the U and V ? Thanks.

Dave Stoler
01-16-2008, 5:30 AM
I just got a Thompson 1/2 in V grind and watched the Bill Grumbine video.No catchs in the bowl I just did . I credit Mr Grumbine in making my turning experience a more enjoyable endeavor. The Thompson V bowl gouge did not load up and was a true pleasure .