PDA

View Full Version : Myrtle Beach Area

Syd Lorandeau
01-14-2008, 3:26 PM
Hi Guys,
At the end of this month and first part of next I am taking a trip to Myrtle Beach, SC. Nothing really planned so can any of you guys give me places lets say with 100 miles of Myrtle Beach that I should not miss.
LOML and I are in are 70's but very active, no golf, anything else is great, history, tours, music, plays, buildings, ect.
Many Thanks in Advance,
Syd

Tom Sweeney
01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Syd,
It's been a while, but I used to visit SC a lot for golf trips & vacations. Lots to do in MB - shame you don't golf as there are over 100 courses. Last time I was there - about 5 years ago there was a lot of building & expansion going on so there's probably more to do now. Schlocky stuff like the reptile zoo, Hard Rock cafe & aquarium & miniture golf & nice stuff like good restaraunts, Brookgreen gardens, plantation tours, shopping etc.. Check out Broadway at the beach. IIRC Southern MB (Pawleys Island area) is a little more laid back. There are several large dinner theatres in MB - Country & Western Shows, Dolley Parton dixie stampede, Alabama theatre South Carolina Opry & Medieval Times come to mind. They are all a fun time - even if your not really into the C&W music.

You have to go about an hour south & visit Charleston - I'd say find a B&B & stay in town a couple of days. Charleston is my favorite place in the world to visit. Great food, great architecture, nice people (as long as you aren''t planning on moving there;) ) Lots of things to do with arts, music & theatre.

Check out: http://www.myrtlebeachinfo.com/ & http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

Jim Tobias
01-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Syd,
I will echo Tom's recommendation. Go to Charleston. I lived in Beaufort, SC (130 miles south of Myrtle beach)for 8 years and my sister and husband lives in Georgetown(35 miles south of Myrtle Beach). I would say that you will find Charleston a lot more interesting than Myrtle Beach. Great horse and carriage tours with interesting historical tours. Just my own opinion, but Charleston has a lot more to offer in the way of tours and history and great restaurants. In Charleton, eat at "Magnolia's" and "Slightly North of Broad" if you get the chance. You won't regret it!

Jim

Bill Pealer
01-15-2008, 1:14 PM
You could also try the Wilmington area for a lot of history. I will agree w/ the other assessments, Charleston is top notch, and a few mile further south is Savannah. Of course there is HWY 378 is a very scenic drive to Columbia, just 150 miles.

Syd Lorandeau
01-15-2008, 4:21 PM
Tom, Jim, Bill,
Thanks a lots guys. Just the stuff I wanted, have made copies and now are in my travel folder.
Syd

Bob Childress
01-15-2008, 4:50 PM
YOf course there is HWY 378 is a very scenic drive to Columbia, just 150 miles.

Unfortunately, when you get there, you have gotten to Columbia. And you wonder why. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D