PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to float it?

Julian Wong
01-14-2008, 3:18 PM
Hey guys, I'm relative new to WW and am I'm building a jewellery box for the LOML to start off. It's 12"W x 7"L x 4"H.

Sides and top are 1/2", bottom is 1/4" red oak. Sides will be dovetailed.

Wondering if I need to float the bottom since the bottom is a rather small piece to cater for humidity expansion.

If I need to float it, I need to make a shallow dado on all for sides, if I don't I think I may just rabbet it to the bottom. Whatcha think?

Opinions sought!
Thanks!

Lee Schierer
01-14-2008, 3:39 PM
It will be more secure over the long run if you put the bottom in a dado and float it. Use space balls or a dab of glue in the center of the bottom on the ends to keep it centered.

Raul Hernandez
01-14-2008, 3:50 PM
If the bottom is oak ply, and the sides have the grain running horizontally (parallel to the bottom), it probably won't make a difference which way you do it, especially considering the box is fairly small.

Even so, cutting the dado doesn't take much more work than the rabbet, so you might as well float it.

Julian Wong
01-14-2008, 3:59 PM
Thanks for the reply,
Thought that if I were to glue it in, it would add more strength (rigidity) to the box.

Maybe the dovetails will provide enough strength to the side flue ups and prevent it from racking?

Raul Hernandez
01-14-2008, 4:14 PM
Considering its intended use, there's really no need to sacrifice aesthetics or movement considerations for functional strength. Nobody's going to be balancing this box on its corner and then trying to stand on it, I assume.

Chris Padilla
01-14-2008, 4:26 PM
It is small enough and won't be holding tons of weight or be beat upon...no need to worry about racking. :)

Julian Wong
01-14-2008, 4:45 PM
Thanks guys. Float it is!

will post pics when it's done.