PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole Kits

Walt Pater
02-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Evening, all:
Any recommendations as to a good pocket hole kit? The choices seem to narrow down to two: Kreg and CMT. Any other choices/ideas/thoughts out there? I will be using it almost exclusively for trim work and built-in projects. Thanks in advance, Walt.

Tyler Howell
02-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Kreg has been great. Have no knowledge of CMT.

John Miliunas
02-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I've had my Kreg for a number of years now. Thought it was a bit expensive, at first...not any more, though! :cool:

Jim Becker
02-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Kreg. Awesome.

Von Bickley
02-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Really like the Kreg. I haven't used the CMT.

Terry Hatfield
02-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Agree with the others. I looked at the CMT at the KC wiing show. Seemed OK but I decided to get the Kreg instead. I have used the heck out of it in the last 2 weeks. Really cool tool. I couldn't be happier.

Terry

Glenn Clabo
02-29-2004, 5:31 AM
Kreg........

Walt Pater
02-29-2004, 8:41 AM
I'm detecting a pattern here....
Thanks, Walt

Mark Singer
02-29-2004, 8:52 AM
Kreg,
I resisted it for years., because it did not create nice looking joints...once I got it ,I haven't stopped using it...its great!

Dick Parr
02-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Kreg is the way to go!

CPeter James
02-29-2004, 11:25 AM
I have used the Kreg for about 4 years. I have the Pro version. It is all plactic except the drill guides. With thye various adapters it is very handy for all kinds of things. It also came with the "Pocket Rocket" which I use a lot. I did get a couple of extra things, a spare drill and collar, and an extra vise grip clamp. I find new uses for it every day.

A helpful hint. Put a washer of self sticking "slippery" plastic stuff (Iforgot what it is called) on the collar were it hits the drill guide. This will eliminate any galling of the collar or the top of the guide.

I think that it is about $130.00 now. A good value for all the use it will get.

CPeter

Tom Peterson
02-29-2004, 5:23 PM
Looks like Kreg for me also. I have used this all types of joints. Best was attaching the railings to the newell posts on my front porch. All othere are really copies to the Kreg. Too bad there is not a show by you, best package and value from them at that time. You'll not regret the purchase

Todd Burch
02-29-2004, 5:47 PM
I've used the Porter Cable #550 for years, but just upgraded to the Kreg Foreman last month. It's air driven, so quiet (especially compared to PC's router-based model). It cuts the same hole as the portable Kreg model and seems to work fine.

I think someone still needs to invent a method of clamping stock so they will not shift during screw driving. Kreg has an air-clamping face-frame table (~$2500) that I looked at, but didn't get it. I've used the portable Kreg Pro jig once and it seemed to work just fine. No experience with the CMT model. Again, it's not so much the drilling, but the screw-driving that is the challenge to do perfect. Todd

Walt Pater
02-29-2004, 6:06 PM
Tom- there was a show near me, in Mass, earlier this year, where both CMT and Kreg were offering spectacular deals on the whole suitcase units. Didn't "need" one then, do now (a miller "strongly recommends" that I pocket screw certain trim pieces together). So I'm kicking myself, again. To the extent that they eliminate the need for biscuits (which I like using) and a bazillion clamps (something trimmers don't carry around a lot of), I should have taken the plunge a while ago. Oh well, Live and learn.

Gene Collison
02-29-2004, 9:14 PM
Tom- there was a show near me, in Mass, earlier this year, where both CMT and Kreg were offering spectacular deals on the whole suitcase units. Didn't "need" one then, do now (a miller "strongly recommends" that I pocket screw certain trim pieces together). So I'm kicking myself, again. To the extent that they eliminate the need for biscuits (which I like using) and a bazillion clamps (something trimmers don't carry around a lot of), I should have taken the plunge a while ago. Oh well, Live and learn.

__________________________________________________ ____

Walt,

The CMT uses a different entry angle for the hole. According to the Sommerfeld catalog the angle is a bit steeper than the Kreg. I think it is designed to be used with the Sommerfeld tongue and groove cabinet making setup. The steeper angle causes it to miss the tongue thus weakening the joint. You might want to go to Sommerfeldtools.com, I'm not sure whether it's better or worse than the Kreg but you will see the difference.

Gene

Charles McKinley
02-29-2004, 9:57 PM
I bought the Kreg propak at a show over a year ago. The best money I spent that year. Get the Right Angle Clamp (RAC) when you get the kit. It makes working buy yourself much easier. An extra bit is nice too, set one up for 2X stock and one for 3/4 then you do not have to move the stop back and forth. I have used it to make many shop table bases out of 2X4s. It is FAST and STURDY. The rocket is nice for larger pieces you don't want to put up on the bench.

Very happy with it. No affiliation

Thomas Glenn
02-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Kreg for shure

Steve Roxberg
02-29-2004, 11:47 PM
I think someone still needs to invent a method of clamping stock so they will not shift during screw driving. Kreg has an air-clamping face-frame table (~$2500) that I looked at, but didn't get it. I've used the portable Kreg Pro jig once and it seemed to work just fine. No experience with the CMT model. Again, it's not so much the drilling, but the screw-driving that is the challenge to do perfect. Todd

I agree, but for the mean time, I'm not a production shop. I clamp the unit to gether like it was glued, and once solid I drive all the screws. It's a slower, but the boards don't drift.

One reason to possibly consider the CMT over the Kreg. I own the Kreg and love it, but the CMT tongue and groove setup looked great, and would stop movement of the joint in one direction. The direction the screw is being driven.

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Kreg is what I use
But make sure to clamp the faces before putting the screw in.
Daniel :cool:

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Pocket holes cut from the Kreg have saved me so much time and effort over the past 3-4 years. I use them for quick joinery all the time.

Previous owners of my home had a cat/dog door that I recently patched. Pocket screws made it unbelievably easy and quick to get the 2x4s secured and ready for drywall on one side and stucco on the other side. Try and swing a hammer in that tiny space and I don't own a nail gun than can shoot nails of that size.

Wonderful jig...just wonderful. Do pick up a spare step-drill bit and be sure to have the drill at full speed before plunging into the material...I snapped a bit once going too slow.