PDA

View Full Version : A question Concerning Acrylic

Jason Smalling
01-14-2008, 2:28 PM
Hello, everyone! Not sure if this question should be in this thread, but I will post anyway. I wanted to know if anyone knew and easy way of making the edges of acrylic sheet look like chipped or cracked ice effect. I have seen awards and other designs done, and it appears very elegant and very nice. I have used an angle grinder with some success, but didnt know if there was a better way to approach it. I am using 1/4" acrylic, so if anyone knows a good technique, please share it with me. Thanks!

Angus Hines
01-14-2008, 2:49 PM
Don't know tile nippers maybe. Just a thought.

Frank Corker
01-14-2008, 6:21 PM
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.

I have seen quite a few of the acrylic awards which can be bought which have the chipped edges. I can't swear on it but I think a lot of them are actually cast like that. I think the nippers idea might be good but you have to be very careful with cast acrylic, cut edges can be like knife edges and if you leave any of those on a finished piece someone could end up suing you. Also the pieces that break off can blast out like shattered glass does, so I'd recommend that if you try it that you use safety goggles.

A belt sander run intermittently along the edge might have a desired effect but you will end up having a milky finish which would require you to have to flame polish to clear it again.