PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Gloat and Questions

Paul Fitzgerald
01-14-2008, 2:03 PM
Hey everyone!

I purchased a new Delta 17-950L Drill Press this weekend. It went together very easily and works great. I'm especially happy about the large table that tilts 0-90 left and right and 0-45 forward.

I know a number of you have this drill press, so I have a couple of questions...

It doesn't seem to be causing a problem, but the spindle pulley seems to be a bit lower than the other two pulleys. In other words, it appears to be parallel to the other two pulleys, but not coplanar. Is this something to worry about?

Also, are the T-Track Slots in the table a standard size? I was thinking about getting a few Hold Down Clamps (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5739) from Rockler, but I don't know if they'll work.

What clamps or vises do ya'll use with your drill presses?

Thanks!

Paul

Vic Damone
01-14-2008, 4:37 PM
I have a simple cross vise attached to my presses table that I seem to use 90% of the time. Before the vise I spent a great deal of time lining stock up then clamping it in place.

I also use a 10" X 24" fenced table that is held in place by the cross vise that provides a platform for larger items to be clamped to yet it's still controlled by the vise.

http://www.palmgren.com/p-mt-crossslidevises.html

Vic

Eric Haycraft
01-14-2008, 4:45 PM
I have an 959L which has the same table... I am 80 percent sure that it will work, but will check the t-slots when I get home.

Eric Haycraft
01-14-2008, 7:40 PM
I have some rockler kits (blue track) and the bolts from those fit perfectly.

As for your pulley. If they are off substantially, it will cause the belts to wear out more quickly - but they last practically forever anyway. I doubt that anything beyond that would happen. If it is new, you can have it looked at and perhaps fixed. It may be something that can be adjusted, maybe not.

Rob Will
01-14-2008, 8:11 PM
Hey everyone!

Also, are the T-Track Slots in the table a standard size? I was thinking about getting a few Hold Down Clamps (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5739) from Rockler, but I don't know if they'll work.
What clamps or vises do ya'll use with your drill presses?

Thanks!
Paul

Hey Paul, you might check with some of the machine tool companies like ENCO or J&L Industrial supply. The have a W I D E assortment of T-slot bolts as commonly used in machine shops. I have a hold-down assortment that I purchased from one of these companies. Just check the bolt diameter that your table will accomodate.

On many occasions, J&L has shipped things to me that I received the next day. Both companies have a website.

Rob

glenn bradley
01-14-2008, 9:16 PM
Oh great, now you made me go look. My center pulley is a fat 1/32" lower than the other pulleys. I have not noticed a problem to date.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-14-2008, 9:37 PM
Oh great, now you made me go look. My center pulley is a fat 1/32" lower than the other pulleys. I have not noticed a problem to date.

Sorry 'bout that Glenn! ;)

Usually I like to make sure pulleys and belts line up, but I'm not getting any vibration or anything so I figured it wasn't a huge deal.

Paul

glenn bradley
01-14-2008, 9:45 PM
Sorry 'bout that Glenn! ;)

Usually I like to make sure pulleys and belts line up, but I'm not getting any vibration or anything so I figured it wasn't a huge deal.

Paul

It appears that the center pulley is not adjustable. Looks like a press-fit. The motor pulley is a no-brainer with a hex-set-screw and plenty of clearance to lower it. The quill pulley is held on with a nut on a spline shaft. I'll have to look at the book on that one. At any rate, no problems and I have link belts waiting to go on. I may fiddle with the positions when I do that. ;-)