PDA

View Full Version : Help with Felder

Todd Bin
01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
I am trying to install the mobility kit on an AD531 jointer/planer. It is probably the same as the AD741. THe instructions from Felder are not exactly clear. I posted on the Felder owner group but I don't have a pallet jack to raise the machine up. (If I had a pallet jack I would not need a mobility kit.)

Has anyone installed one of these and maybe took some pictures or can take some pictures of it on their current machine?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

Dave Avery
01-14-2008, 1:49 PM
Todd,

No help on your install, but I'm very curious how you like the machine..... please let us know. Thanks. Dave.

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 2:40 PM
Todd, I'm also not familiar with that machine, but if you need to lift it, think about leverage. It's pretty amazing what you can lift up using a length of 2x4 and a small lever block and once it's lifted someone can slip some blocks in to hold the machine up securely. You'll then have easier access to install the kit. I used this technique to get my old cabinet saw off it's pallet as well as to lift our very heavy range while leveling it. Works like a champ and you can't beat the cost!!!

Todd Bin
01-14-2008, 3:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Since no one else has, I will take pictures of the process and post them here when I am finished so others can search and it may help them.

I have not used the machine yet. It is still on the pallet since I wanted to get the mobility kit on before I took it off the pallet.

Thanks,

Todd

Brad Shipton
01-14-2008, 4:21 PM
I installed the same on a Hammer. Its a pain, wedge one side up and bolt on front wheel mount then wedge the back up off the ground and slide in the rod with all the washers as per the plan that came with it.

Brad

Bernhard Lampert
01-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, I have not installed a mobility kid on an AD741, but I did install the mobility on a Felder CF731SP 10' slider combo.
As with most manuals/descriptions, the Felder manuals leave a lot to be desired, but at least they make good equipment.
Since my pallet jack was to wide, I had to block up the machine. I installed the lifting bar receiver first. Then I just used a lifting bar, wrapped the flattened end with duct tape (did not want to scratch my new toy!), placed it under one corner near the roller mounts, lifted the machine, slipped a 3/4" thick piece of plywood underneath. Repeated this on all 4 corners 5 times. Now the machine was high enough to fit the nylon rollers underneath. Then reverse the process. It only took me about 1.5hours.
It is a bit tedious and make sure the machine is well supported before you put your fingers underneath it.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Good luck

john tomljenovic
01-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Dont have much advise for you Todd. other than what was described earlier using levers and blocks of wood. thats how they raise machines weighing tons back in the day.

But a full review of the ad531 is in order! hows the fit and finish? how much range of travel on the tables? the fence work well/stiff enough? how loud is it? did it come with a felder cutting head? dust collection? ease of change over? any questions I missed?

hope the setup goes well. look forward to hearing your experiences.

Todd Bin
01-15-2008, 9:01 AM
OK. Looks like it is the old "heave Ho". I will use the lever and block method as described and see how it goes.

I promise I will post some pictures and a brief review when I actually get it up and running. However, I am not much of a reviewer. I mean as long as it will join the face of a board flat and square the edge I am pretty happy.

Mike Wilkins
01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
The old lever and block idea works better than you can imagine. Used this method for lifting many machines in my shop. If its possible, consider lifting it from above. Lots of folks have used an engine lift & lifting straps, which can be procured from a local rental center. I am lucky to have open joists in my shop ceiling (2 X 8), and used them along with a chain hoist to lift my J/P up in the air to install a mobile base.
Be patient, work slow, and don't take any foolish chances.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Dave Lewis
01-15-2008, 8:15 PM
I don't have a Felder, but when mounting a Delta DJ-20 onto a mobile stand, I placed a nylon strap around the unit and lifted w/ a come-along.

In my basement shop I have steel I-beams that I wrapped 5/16" chain around (about 7,500 lb rating) to support the come-along.

After wrestling with getting machinery down and up the bulkhead w/ the come-along, I'm looking at a Warn winch to help and making a generic sled to ride the stairs.

Someday I hope to have a ground level shop, nice ideas here from member though.