PDA

View Full Version : First Home-made router cabinet...

Adam Boyer
01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
I consider myself relatively new to the game, and had been using a rockler router table that ultimately did not meet my needs. I looked at other designs, and then adapted as needed to come up with this one - I tried a lot of things I had never done before (make drawers, used my dovetail jig and lots of dadoing). Lots of lessons learned here... plywood is not so good for dovetail jigs, it is important to get drawer slides the same on both sides, and drawer slides are surprisingly expensive!... and so on...

Anyhow, the drawer fronts are lipped half bind dovetails made of cherry, the cabinet doors are padauk with ply inserts - all finished with tung oil and shellac... the rest of the cabinet is plywood with a MDF top unto which a woodpecker table top is attached along with an Incra Wonder Fence. I built this thing around my new Milwaukee 3.5 HP router (Santa was good to me last year) and got an accompanying Woodpecker PRL router lift...

The whole thing is about 40 inches tall, 20 inches deep and 29 inches wide... I have a few tweaks with the drawer slides on the right drawers and hook up dust collection, adjust the fence, and lift and then it will be ready for use...

Ralph Okonieski
01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Very nice! I love the contrasting woods. You are gonna love your Woodpecker lift!

keith ouellette
01-14-2008, 1:19 PM
Looks good. How do you like that fence? Have you used it much yet.

Dale Lesak
01-14-2008, 1:26 PM
Adam, What are you paying for drawer slides ? What length? weight load ? Dale

Matt Crew
01-14-2008, 1:28 PM
That looks mighty fine.
I like the center door droping down, seems like it gets out of the way when you need to get to the router.

Todd Jensen
01-14-2008, 2:09 PM
I consider myself relatively new to the game...

:DLOL... looks like you're doing ok for a newbie....

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 2:43 PM
Nice job, Adam. Very nice, actually!

Brad Hammond
01-14-2008, 6:44 PM
man almighty that's nice! definetly on my to do list!

Raul Hernandez
01-14-2008, 6:52 PM
I like it, but it almost makes me said every time I see a wonderful exotic like Padauk on shop furniture. ;)

Chris Padilla
01-14-2008, 6:58 PM
Nice...I love building nice looking stuff...even for the shop! You always learn something...ALWAYS! Fine, fine job! :)

Raul Hernandez
01-14-2008, 7:02 PM
Nice...I love building nice looking stuff...even for the shop!

You see, I'd rather it be very functional but fairly ugly.

That way when I get clumsy, smash into it with a tool or something and ding the wood, I don't get angry about it.

Adam Boyer
01-14-2008, 7:21 PM
I had some fun edging scraps - chamfers, coves, etc. I like the fence very much - fairly easy to adjust and does in line stuff very well - apparently it can also do offset work similar to a jointer since the fence halves are split.

The drawers slides were about $12 a piece for 18 inch full extension 100 pound weight - I think overkill for these puny drawers, but I had never used them before...

Otherwise I am happy with it - the dust ends up in the middle cabinet and the fence port works well too - almost none into the air which was a major issue with my last table (A rockler special). I have to go back and find that forum on the dust collection for the middle cabinet and maybe tweak that - but it works well as is.

Dave Falkenstein
01-14-2008, 7:46 PM
...The drawers slides were about $12 a piece for 18 inch full extension 100 pound weight - I think overkill for these puny drawers, but I had never used them before...

Check out GlideRite for slides by the carton:

http://www.gliderite.com/