PDA

View Full Version : 3 way switch question

Craig D Peltier
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi, for xmas I got two bed lamps. I put 3 way bulbs in them. They didnt work only on and off. I suppose its the switch in the lamp. Do they sell replacements for lamps and is it very basic to replace them? Has anyone here done this?

Thanks

Randy Cohen
01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm going to guess that you need a different socket as well as switch.

Tyler Howell
01-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Done it many times. A simple task.
Observe polarity and all safety precautions

David G Baker
01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I have not done the modification but the 3 way light bulbs require a special bulb socket and it usually comes with the switch built in. It should not be any more difficult than changing out a regular lamp socket because the 3 way mechanism is in the socket along with the switch. All you have to do is hook up the two wires to the socket and it does the rest as you twist the switch.
Like Tyler wrote, observe the polarity.

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 2:20 PM
I'll pile on...you do need to replace the lamp receptacle with a three-way unit, but it's an easy job to do and the parts are readily available.

Craig D Peltier
01-14-2008, 8:51 PM
I'll pile on...you do need to replace the lamp receptacle with a three-way unit, but it's an easy job to do and the parts are readily available.

You mean the plug? Or the bulb socket.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-14-2008, 9:03 PM
You mean the plug? Or the bulb socket.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

It is the bulb socket Craig. Stop in at your favorite hardware store--they will be glad to explain the process. It involves 2 terminals and (probably) an Underwriters knot. Pretty simple.

Mike Williams
01-14-2008, 10:36 PM
From a safety standpoint, be careful if the original lamp had a socket with a low maximum wattage bulb (say 60 watts) and a close-fitting lampshade.

Installing a 3-way bulb (50 / 100 / 150 watts) socket and bulb would generate more heat and potentially be a fire hazard. Having your lampshade melt would probably be a bad idea.

Jim Becker
01-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Excellent point, Mike. Thanks for the reminder!

Craig D Peltier
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
From a safety standpoint, be careful if the original lamp had a socket with a low maximum wattage bulb (say 60 watts) and a close-fitting lampshade.

Installing a 3-way bulb (50 / 100 / 150 watts) socket and bulb would generate more heat and potentially be a fire hazard. Having your lampshade melt would probably be a bad idea.
Thanks , good precaution I will take a look at that.