PDA

View Full Version : Leigh D4R Question

C Scott McDonald
01-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey folks,

So I finally pulled the trigger and got a brand new D4R jig. After watching the video and skimming the book a made a dovetail that kind of fit on the first try which I was excited about! My question is the 8mm bit set that is in the box on thier website available from anybody else other the Leigh? I saw that woodcraft sells some bits by themselves but I think I would like the complete set. I have been using 7/8 thick stock so the bits that come with it wont work.

Thanks!
Scott

Jim Summers
01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey folks,

So I finally pulled the trigger and got a brand new D4R jig. After watching the video and skimming the book a made a dovetail that kind of fit on the first try which I was excited about! My question is the 8mm bit set that is in the box on thier website available from anybody else other the Leigh? I saw that woodcraft sells some bits by themselves but I think I would like the complete set. I have been using 7/8 thick stock so the bits that come with it wont work.

Thanks!
Scott

I have purchased an individual bit once from mlcs. The price was right but the bit was not accurate. I ended up having to send it back and they sent me another one. Which was accurate and works fine now. No big deal just a delay and I think I may have had to pay postage on the return, but I don't remember for sure. Just a buck or two but kind of a principal of it thing. In the future I am not sure I will buy router bits there again.

Oh yeah, I think they did have bit sets for the 8mm also.

HTH

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Many of the router cutter suppliers have 8mm Leigh sets or individual bits available. I didn't buy the 8mm bits "way back when" and am sorry I didn't. They get a lot of stress when cutting dovetails and the larger shanks are just the ticket for longer life.

Peter Froh
01-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Lee Valley sells a bit set for the Leigh jig http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=30225&cat=1,46168.

I'm not sure if they are all 8mm shanks.

I purchased the set of 8mm shanks from Leigh but I'm also a new D4R user and have not used all of them. Nice set though.

Denny Rice
01-15-2008, 4:29 AM
I also own the Leigh D4R and have nothing bad to say about this jig. I love it, but I also agree with Leigh's website whenever possible use either 8mm or 1/2 inch bits in your router. I have found a lot of vibration in the smaller diameter bits. As noted in other post there are a lot of "Leigh bits" made by other manufactuers too, I was in Woodcraft last month and seen a set there.:)

Neil Lamens
01-15-2008, 7:39 AM
I've purchased from whiteside and had fine results.

http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/default.html

click catalog - scroll down to dovetail2 .........poke around a bit...(couldn't resist) pun intended.

Harley Lewis
01-15-2008, 9:01 AM
I agree with the Whiteside Leigh bit set, it is a very good and you can buy individual bits from them as well. You can also go to Leigh direct on their web site and buy their bits. I used to do that but their ability to service customers has gone down hill and the last two times I ordered from them they lost my order and I had to do it twice. I will not order direct from them again, but will go with Whiteside bits which are better anyway.