PDA

View Full Version : Belt change

Rich Stewart
01-14-2008, 10:35 AM
I am not needing it yet, but I was looking around trying to see if I could find instructions for changing the belt on a Jet Mini-vs lathe. I tried the WMH Tool website and various googling but couldn't find any instructions. I am the worst at searching for stuff on google. I always end up with 15 million pages of things that aren't even close to what I am looking for. Does anybody know how it is done and what size belt I need, etc? I have had the lathe for going on two years now so I figure it is only a matter of time until I need to do it. Might as well be ready.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich

Tom Collins
01-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Not sure how the Jet is set up but on the Delta Mini you have to remove the handwheel, loosen set screws on the top pulley and drive the shaft out to remove belt.

Tom

Rich Stewart
01-14-2008, 2:43 PM
Oh jeez! I have the mechanical aptitude of a chimp. I'm REALLY looking forward to this.

Tom Collins
01-14-2008, 4:46 PM
Rich,
Do you have access to a parts diagram for your lathe? It will give you an idea of the parts that may need to come apart and should show a part number for the belt you need. You may be able to get one(parts diagram) from Jet if you don't have one. If you decide to do it yourself and have to pound on any shafts don't hammer directly on the shaft end, use a block of hardwood between hammer and shaft. Also be careful with pulleys, mine are a soft pot metal and could be easily broken if pried on. The replacement belt for my little Delta was an exhorbatant price on the company website and postage was equally high. I got my belt from a place called beltsforanything.com. They didn't have a direct fit but bent over backwards to get one of the proper dimentions and it works very well. About 1/3 the cost, including postage.

Hopefully someone with your model Jet will jump in and offer advise. Until then let sleeping dogs lie;)
TC

Rich Stewart
01-15-2008, 2:27 PM
Thanks Tom. I figured more people have a Jet mini.

Rich Stewart
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I think I'll bump this one up. There has to be somebody here that knows how to change a belt on a jet mini.

Lee DeRaud
01-16-2008, 10:52 AM
The WMH website doesn't have instructions for belt replacement, but they do have instructions for installation of the VS conversion kit (which includes new belt and pulleys). It's in the replacement parts section IIRC.

EDIT: ok, the part number is 708351, the file you want is m_708351-VSR.pdf. It's 1.8MB, so I can't post my copy here.

EDIT again: hang on, turns out I can upload a big file if it's zipped:

Rich Stewart
01-16-2008, 2:23 PM
Thanks Lee, but it all comes up a bunch of symbols. Scrambled. I'll check the files you gave me.

Lee DeRaud
01-16-2008, 2:39 PM
Thanks Lee, but it all comes up a bunch of symbols. Scrambled. I'll check the files you gave me.You can't just click on that link, you have to right-click and do a "save as" and change the name back to "m_708351-VSR.zip". (Another vBulletin glitch, I guess...used to do the same thing to '.cdr' (CorelDraw) files.)