PDA

View Full Version : Finishing help needed!

Dominic Greco
02-28-2004, 7:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Boy, I really did it this time! I feel like a complete idiot! It's days like this that make me want to stick with turning bowls and chuck flat work forever. Heres what happened,....

I finally finished the construction of a new base cabinet for my old 14" Jet bandsaw. Rather than have a cabinet that looks like wood, I'd rather it appeared to be metal. So I decided to paint it. So off I trot to Home Depot to buy some sanding sealer, primer and topcoat.

Well, I bought the Minwax Sanding Sealer. It went on pretty easily and I allowed it to dry for a couple of days. It looked (and smelled) a lot like polyurethane. Today I sanded it with some 300 grit sandpaper and proceed to apply the primer.

It wasn't until I was all the way through that I looked at the label on the primer. It says, "Finest LATEX based primer yada yada yada". :eek:

So basically I just covered the entire case with a latex based paint ON TOP of a Urethane (oil) based sanding sealer! :mad:

So,...what to I do now?

See ya around,

Carl Eyman
02-28-2004, 8:25 PM
I think what I would do is put it aside, wait six months, and if nothing untoward happened go to the next step. Alternatively, I'd post my problem on Jeff Jewitt's forum (homesteadfinishing.com) and ask there.

David Rose
02-29-2004, 4:26 AM
Take the can back? :D Sorry, Dom. I couldn't resist. That is a bummer, but you might get away with it. I would post the question on Jeff's board too.

David

Ralph Steffey
02-29-2004, 7:06 AM
You can put latex on top of oil with no problems just not the other way around.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Dominic, just yesterday morning I was watching an episode of TOH and the painting contractor was priming the bare wood siding with an oil based primer before using latex over it. You might be get away with it!

Wes Bischel
02-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Ralph is correct. If the sanding sealer is oil based it should be OK. (what does the sanding sealer say on the can?) When painting houses (exterior) it is typical to lay down oil based primer, then latex finish coats. Don't try to put an oil based topcoat on your latex primer though. It was explained to me that the latex "breathes" whereas the oil doesn't.

A new base for my bandsaw is something I need to do as well. Please post pictures when you get it done - I'd be interested to see what you came up with.

Wes

Dominic Greco
02-29-2004, 7:43 PM
Thank you for all the input. I appreciate your rapid responses.

Whew! Looks like I may have dodged a bullet on this one. I spoke with a friend of my wife whose husband is a painter. He has passed along that the sealer I used will work fine with the latex paint. He has done this on occasion for items used indoor.

Hopefully, my brother wont' leave the bandsaw out in the rain much! :D

Oh BTW, I will be posting pics of the bandsaw base with a detailed commentary as soon as I can get the project completed. I still need to apply the top coat, install the bandsaw, wire it up, and test.