PDA

View Full Version : Milling bits for DP?

Russ Filtz
01-14-2008, 7:55 AM
Any good sources for decent/cheap milling bits for a drill press? Looking for an end mill for my JET DP.

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 9:39 AM
Do keep in mind that a normal DP isn't designed for lateral loads...

Russ Filtz
01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Looking only to do some light stuff and only the vertical end-mill. Shouldn't have any more lateral/torque loading than a large forstner!

Bill White
01-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I've used a 1/2" end mill in my OLD (1952) Craftsman DP with good results. Check out Grizzley for good prices on tooling.
Slow the speed, and use a lube. Light oil or kerosene.
Bill

Ken Deckelman
01-14-2008, 5:21 PM
Also check with Enco (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM), they are very competitive with pricing.

Gary Keedwell
01-14-2008, 5:24 PM
If you don't have an existing hole, make sure you have a center cut (plunge type) end mill.;) They will cost more than regular end mill.
Gary

Bill Jepson
01-14-2008, 6:06 PM
Something to remember is that end mills are case hardened, shank included. If you hit any tough spots it is easy to spin the mill in a standard chuck. This can RUIN chuck jaws. If you spin a drill bit the soft shank gets torn up but the chuck is ok. Be very careful. Generally I recomend against using a end mill in any drill chuck. The jaws can be ruined and then none of your drills will run true.
Bill Jepson

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 6:29 PM
Bill, interesting point. Perhaps a second, reasonably priced, chuck to dedicate for the purpose might be a good idea?

Rick Lizek
01-14-2008, 7:31 PM
Most drill chucks are the jacobs taper type and lateral force will knock it out. So you risk having a spinning endmill in your lap or feet. Putting red loctite on the taper will hold it on for such operations. Some drill presses such as the older craftsman had a threaded collar to hold the chuck on so that would be a safer way to go. You should look at the smaller benchtop Grizzly pin router as a viable option or the Grizzly G0540.