PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Mallets

harry strasil
01-14-2008, 2:18 AM
These are my favorite mallets in my basement home shop. The left one has a hedge (osage orange) head, the right one is turned from hickory.
http://traditionaltools.us/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10014/mallets_01.jpeg

I also posted my bandsaw tensioning/detensioning system in the power tool section.

Sam Yerardi
01-14-2008, 7:25 AM
Nice work. It's hard to explain to someone how much pride you take in making and using your own tools isn't it? I'd like to find some osage orange. There's a lot where I live in southern Ohio.

harry strasil
01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Sam, find a farmer that uses osage orange for fence posts and get one the right size from him, they are usually aged already and ready to use.

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 11:42 AM
My mallet head is also Osage orange, Harry...very durable stuff. The format is more like your hickory mallet, but mine is two-piece with an oak handle. I've been meaning to make a few more, both in size and different formats as I use hand tools more refining my work.

Sam Yerardi
01-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Harry

Danny Thompson
01-14-2008, 1:54 PM
Harry,

I'm really enjoying seeing your tools, gadgets, etc. I'm curious, what about these mallets makes them your favorites?

harry strasil
01-14-2008, 1:57 PM
they feel gooe while using them and thay are like a natural extension of my arm.

Jeff Wittrock
01-14-2008, 8:09 PM
I really like the shape of the hickory one. Its a lot like the one I use.
The problem I have is that my mine is always to close at hand when I need to beat on something other than wood, so It has gotten in pretty bad shape.