PDA

View Full Version : Bed extensions

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Well the LOML told me to go get something I wanted or needed. So I decided to get a bed extension for both the Rikon and Nova plus a new stand to hold the extension. I went to Denver Woodcraft yesterday and picked them up. I also picked up some modular tools rest items and a 1 1/4" roughing gouge. Just got them together. Worked all day getting them done and leveled out. Maybe now I won't get turners elbow from the livecenter. I am planning on enclosing the back side of the Nova stand and put a shelf across the center with doors to keep the chips out of the inside off the tools and sand bags. I was tired and just left the bags laying where they were.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Nice gloat Bernie! Those extensions will come in handy.

Sharon convinced me to give up painting last night. I just came in from the shop having finished painting the 2nd coat on the last half of the shop. Later this week I'll start assembling my DC.

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Congrats Bernie! Great gloat! Does this mean you plan on turning some loooong stuff?

Jon Lanier
01-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Way to go Bernie. Did the Rikon bed go together easily? I will be purchasing one of those probably next month.

Bill Embrey
01-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Great gloat Bernie :) I'm guessing the new rests go on the Nova?

Tom Sherman
01-14-2008, 2:19 AM
nice gloat Bernie, you must have been a good boy lately.

Ron Drew
01-14-2008, 9:26 AM
I'm liking the tool rests Bernie. I often find I need a shorter one for the Nova. Are those the same as modular rests I see on the Packard and Craft Supplies websites?

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks everyone.

Steve no long stuff. It is just with the Nova's short bed I was getting what Bill Grumbine called turners elbow especially when I forgot to remove the livecenter.

Jon the Rikon bed went together ok. I had to widen the channel with a file slightly so the hold down washer on the tailstock and banjo would move thru the joint. Other than that is works great.

Ron I got two at Woodcraft. Woodcraft had the 4" and box rest. These are pretty hefty because the post is 1" and the rest is 1". The offset and curve rest I got from packard woodworks. These aren't quite as hefty but Woodcraft didn't have them.

Bill yes the new rests are for the Nova. I wanted a short 4" one which I have needed several times.

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Very nice...now you can do some very long bonkers!! The new spindle roughing gouge will be very helpful in that regard. Congrats!

Allen Schmid
01-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Bernie,
Thanks for including the specifics on all your new toys, oops I mean tools. I have been looking for an offset and curved rest, too. This is great timing. Have any of you guys looked into the Oneway curved tool rest? I have a Jet 1632(?) and need to update the rests.
Nice gloat!
Allen

Ben Gastfriend
01-14-2008, 3:17 PM
Tell me about "turners elbow"!

Wow! With that extension, the Nova looks like even more of a beast! Now you can do a tabletop outboard, and the legs between your centers! Let's see some turnings!

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2008, 3:36 PM
Tell me about "turners elbow"!

Ben turners elbow is when working on a short bed such as the Nova and you forget to take the livecenter out of the tailstock. You go to make the finial few cuts on a bowl and the livecenter gives you a pretty good poke. Bad words are said at that time.