PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Remote Control around Powermatic 3520B

Thomas Canfield
01-13-2008, 10:46 PM
:DAfter having the Powermatic 3520B start my Dust Collector at odd times, I have hopefully finally found a solution.:D The Fernbrook Smart Switch was used on the original installation of the Oneida DC about 4 years ago, but the inverter/motor electronic noise prevented the 220 V switch from operating using the remote, and even starting on its own. The solution offered by Fernbrook was to install a magnetic contactor in the power feed to the DC that used the 110V power from the remote control tranciver to energize and hold in the contactor. The 3 phase contactor arrived yesterday, a 6x6x4" junction box bought today, and tonight my dust collector can be controlled with the lathe running again. Cost was about $75, but there were multiple phone calls to Powermatic, Delta Electronics, Oneida, and Fernbrook before the simple solution was reached:(

The 220V Fernbrook switch uses the building wire and is where the lathe noise was stronger that the other signals. The only problem with the magnetic contactor is that the transciver nust be hardwired which could be a problem for some shop layouts. I used a section of extension cord to run the 8', and actually move the transciver to a different outlet to free up the outlet wher it had been.

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2008, 11:39 PM
What a pain for you to figure out! Congrats on getting all that behind you! Now you can start enjoying your turning without worrying about unexpected DC starts! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings soon!

Reed Gray
01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
I never had that problem with my 3520A and my Oneida. The lathe is about 25 feet from the 3 hp Oneida, and I use a Lone Ranger for remote starting. I did loose one remote in the shavings, and now have one on a clip on the wall to prevent that in the future.
robo hippy