PDA

View Full Version : Project time vs. Shop Upgrade time

Pete Stack
01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Seeing all the pictures of the various workshops people have posted here (and I am very jealous of a lot of you!) got me curious. I'm wondering how much time you all spend on actual woodworking projects versus time spent on the upgrading the shop. I know in my own little shop (12 x 22, but it feels a lot smaller than that), it seems like I'll spend half my time working on a project and the other half building a better clamp rack or building more storage cabinets or making jigs that I saw on NYW but haven't gotten around to using just yet. I know it's time better spent on woodworking projects--and there are plenty of them to work on--yet I just can't seem to help myself.

So I'm at around 50-50 for project time versus shop upgrade time.

Anyone else with this "problem?"

John D Watson
01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Consider yourself lucky Pete. I would put mine at 70% shop and 30% project. Mind you my shop is very old and requires most of the attention.

Don Bullock
01-13-2008, 10:56 PM
I have so little "shop time" that most of it has to be spent on projects. I'm not one who builds a lot of things for the shop. If I need a cabinet or table for the shop, I buy one. Even with that philosophy, I don't get very many woodworking projects done. I have a rule that I don't work in the shop if I'm tired. After a day of teaching along with other things that have to get done, that leaves me very few afternoons and evenings in the shop. Since we're campaigning one of our basset hound Champions working on a Championship on another most of our weekends are spent at dog shows. Besides, right now I really don't have a shop. It's just half of a two car garage with some tools.

After I retire in June I'm hoping to be able to spend more time on projects for the shop and if my wife and I are able to move after we're both retired which is our plan, I'm hoping that I'll have a lot of projects like cabinets, shelves, work tables and a workbench for the shop.

James Manning
01-13-2008, 10:57 PM
It has been all shop related work for over a year now, but I do not go out to the shop everyday. I do have some projects backed up and the LOML keeps telling me she wants to see some finished projects rolling out of that fancy shop again.........:D:D.

Joe Chritz
01-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I generally spend all my time on projects but everytime something comes up that needs updating or addressing I get it done. Currently that seems to be a lot or shop update, reconfigure, repair work.

Joe

Pete Stack
01-13-2008, 11:03 PM
It has been all shop related work for over a year now, but I do not go out to the shop everyday. I do have some projects backed up and the LOML keeps telling me she wants to see some finished projects rolling out of that fancy shop again.........:D:D.

Oh man... I get that all the time! If I had a nickel for every time my wife rolled her eyes when she found out what I was really working on instead of what I should have been working on, I'd be a millionaire!

John Thompson
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
In 2001 I took eight months of spare time to establish the shop as it now is. Lighting.. home-made cabinets for tools to mount on and be mobilized.. flooring.. painting.. clamp racks.. jigs.. upgrade assembly tables.. etc... etc..

After that one time lay-off, I use the humid summer months (June.. July.. August) here in Georgia for any house improvement projects and usually build a work-bench that is sold. The other 9 months about 30-50 hours a week are spent in the shop building projects.

Sarge..

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I have taken it in spurts. I started my shop 4 years ago. 2 years ago the inmates in the Turning Forum decided I needed a lathe and sent me a lathe, tools and videos. For 18 months all I did was turn. I had over $600 worth of 8' T-8 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures and bulbs sitting in the corner of my 24'x30' shop gathering dust while I turned. The ceiling and walls weren't painted. I was turning by a pair of 1000 watt halogen construction lights on a stand. In September I ordered the tools for my shop..tore down the lathe and temporary stand and painted, wired outlets and switches, installed the lights. Now, I'm waiting for blades for the new b/s, I installed and used the new lathe. I moved my t/s and planer from the unheated shed to the heated shop. I just finished the 2nd coat of finish paint on the walls this evening and will start installing my DC this week. I can't wait until I can do some flatwork and spinny stuff too!

Rob Will
01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
You have got to be kidding:D.
I thought the shop WAS / IS the project:o.
That's why everything is called a SHOP PROJECT !

Rob

glenn bradley
01-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm currently 80 shop, 20 project. 10 months ago it was the other way around. The completion of recent projects made me aware of some things that had to happen in the shop as I saw areas that if improved, would smooth the next effort. I assume this will swing back and forth until I become boring and just do the same stuff all the time ;-)

Jeff Miller
01-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I know it's time better spent on woodworking projects--and there are plenty of them to work on--yet I just can't seem to help myself.

So I'm at around 50-50 for project time versus shop upgrade time.

Anyone else with this "problem?"

And I thought I was the only one with this problem.

You're not alone. The way I look at, my shop is where I go to relax and have fun. Sometimes I get a lot done and sometimes I look around and see what I can improve.

Right now I'm in the middle of a project for our kitchen that I wanted to get done before we get a new floor installed.

Instead of finishing that I made an organizing station for my cordless drills and chargers,nail guns,squares and a few other things so they would be more handy and neat. Had a good time doing it. But that kitchen project won't be done in time:eek: they're coming to lay the floor on Tuesday..........oh well:rolleyes:

JEFF:D

John Bush
01-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I have developed profound combination of obsessive/compulsive and anal retentive behavior that keeps me very busy in the shop--rewiring, reconfiguring DC, relocating machines etc. The other day I was working away and glanced at my watch and it was 1:30 in the morning!! I had just installed a series of bins I got from a hardware that closed and I was sorting finishing nails!!!!! I don't even use finishing nails. The next day I started going thru all the drawers and finally started throwing stuff away. Of course I had to organize it alphabetically before I put it in the Dole banana box I had been saving for 5 years, then stack it in the loft so I can sort thru it again in 4 years before I throw it out. Man, I hope that new medication kicks in soon!!

Rob Will
01-14-2008, 12:27 AM
I have developed profound combination of obsessive/compulsive and anal retentive behavior that keeps me very busy in the shop--rewiring, reconfiguring DC, relocating machines etc. The other day I was working away and glanced at my watch and it was 1:30 in the morning!! I had just installed a series of bins I got from a hardware that closed and I was sorting finishing nails!!!!! I don't even use finishing nails. The next day I started going thru all the drawers and finally started throwing stuff away. Of course I had to organize it alphabetically before I put it in the Dole banana box I had been saving for 5 years, then stack it in the loft so I can sort thru it again in 4 years before I throw it out. Man, I hope that new medication kicks in soon!!

LOL JOHN, that's good stuff.

Cary Swoveland
01-14-2008, 1:48 AM
I have developed profound combination of obsessive/compulsive and anal retentive behavior that keeps me very busy in the shop--rewiring, reconfiguring DC, relocating machines etc....Man, I hope that new medication kicks in soon!!

John, thank you so much for your post. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone.

Cary

Bill Ryall
01-14-2008, 7:13 AM
90% project time for now. The 10% shop time is mainly machine and tool maintenance.

It will stay that way until I can break ground for the new shop in a year or 2.

Larry Fox
01-14-2008, 7:23 AM
100% shop for me over the last two months. Almost 50% increase in usable floor space, new DC install, fresh coat of paint, etc, etc. Looking forward to getting back to some project work though. Normally, I would say that it is about 75 project and 25 shop doing little improvements, maintenance, etc.

Jack Briggs
01-14-2008, 7:52 AM
99% project (work); 1% shop.

I've got so much I need to do to the shop, but have to make a living with work back logged about 12 months.

Tough position.

Lee Koepke
01-14-2008, 8:10 AM
Mostly shop time. I dont do this professionally, so like several others said, I do it to relax. So no matter what I am building, its good therapy for me.

I sorta build a jig for a project, then do a small project. I will try new things out on shop stuff then translate that into finished work one day.

Glenn Clabo
01-14-2008, 8:19 AM
A real problem with me. I've been renovating an old house and have never had enough time to give to the shop. I realize that if I would just stop working on the house...and set up the shop correctly...I would save time and effort. But I just can't seem to take the little time I have left after work. Dreaming about retirement....

alex grams
01-14-2008, 8:22 AM
Great thread!

And i thought that i was the only one who spent all weekend working on a drawer cabinet for tools.

I figure though that the longer you have your shop, the less time you put into the shop and more into the projects. I just purchased my first house in March, so my shop isn't even a year old.

I still have:

-To build a 6x8' storage building in my back yard (so i can move my yard tools there and have more room in the garage!)
-Build an extension table for my saw
-build a mobile work bench
-split the lights into two switches (i have 4 2x40' flourescent fixtures, of which 2 need to be turned off when the garage door is open, or else they just shine onto the door in the ceiling)
-Add another wiring run for 220 for the soon to be DC
-make some clamp storage racks
-build doors for cabinets i made for storing chemicals and such

and that doesn't even include the house list my wife wants finished

-finish trim in front entry (just retiled it)
-build faux columns in front entry
-refloor entry/living/office/dining/bedroom/hallway
-move fence forward on side of house
-build garden for next spring
-rebuild the deck
-retile the kitchen!

Crud, i think i just depressed myself by listing everything i need/want to do....

Matt Meiser
01-14-2008, 8:51 AM
If you are making a living from your woodworking, then you should probably worry if you are spending more time on shop projects than other projects. However, if its a hobby then do what you are happy doing. Is is practical? Well no, but if you want practical then you should probably be buying furniture instead of making it because I'm pretty sure that not too many of us have actually spent less making our own furniture instead of buying when you look at the big picture!

Lewis DeJoseph
01-14-2008, 8:59 AM
I took eight months of spare time ..
I can't even imagine having 8 months of spare time:rolleyes:. It must be nice:D. I am having a hard time getting my shop up and running. So most of my time is spent setting it up and home improvment right now.

Lewis

Billy Chambless
01-14-2008, 9:16 AM
Lately, it's about 80% shop upgrade time, converting a spare bedroom to a shop. Hopefully in a couple of weeks, I can get it down to about 90% project time and rember why I thought i needed a shop. ;)

Jim Becker
01-14-2008, 9:42 AM
Like Bill R, most of my time is now projects, but earlier on I did more shop project work. It's a natural progression. And shop projects are great for testing new techniques while you are servicing the needs of your environment.

Jim Summers
01-14-2008, 9:53 AM
My time seems to flow like several others in this thread. It'll be all spent on a project. Then at the end of that something was realized and then it will be shop related time to satisfy what was missing in that project. Then another project. Purely subjective, but I would feel more time to projects than shop related now. But a year ago it was the reverse.

alex grams
01-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Good point Jim. I used making a tool cabinet this weekend as a test for some different mounting styles and techniques for making drawers. (spacing flushed mounted drawers is a real pain)

JayStPeter
01-14-2008, 10:39 AM
After I moved, my shop was the project for a year or so. Since then, actual work on the shop is far less. When I complete a furniture project, I usually take a break and spend a couple weeks of shop time (which usually only adds up to 8-10 hrs) on the shop itself. Usually I do a bunch of cleaning and sharpening. But ocassionally adding storage and such. I've been slowly building a neander workbench that's nearing completion after about two years. After that I have a couple major upgrades planned. Unlike the bench, I will have to get them done before moving on to another project since the shop will be partially dismantled. I expect it to be a couple years before they are in place. It's a balancing act of time and money.
As Jim mentioned, usually if I'm going to try a new technique I will find something to do for the shop that uses it. Most recently, the workbench has been a handplane learning experience.

Jay

Jesse Cloud
01-14-2008, 11:13 AM
The deal I have with my wife is 2 projects for the house for each shop project. Just finished 4 house projects, so its wide open time to make a handtool cabinet and a stand or cabinet for the OSS.

Of course, if I factored in shop maintenance (sharpening, flattening, lubricating, troubleshooting, cleaning, emptying dust, etc) it would probably be about 50/50 shop/house.

Doug Mason
01-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Currently, I am at about 85% shop, 15% project; my freinds think that I will never build anything!! But in hindsight, in the last two years I have gone from a background of having only pounded a few nails to fully wiring my shop, building out-swing doors, fettling planes and sharpening hand-saws. Another problem I've had is that my shop is in an old, failing garage--which in turn has taken alot of my time to fix up. But for me, the bottom line is that in constructing my shop, I have learned most of the skills that I'll be using in the future--so it certainly isn't wasted time. Just frustrating.

Al Killian
01-14-2008, 12:56 PM
For m trying to get the new shop"move in ready" is takeing up 90% of my shop time. I really do not have a choice as I need the space and the larger electrical supply. This is not fun as projects pile up and never get done. One day we will all have the shop to where we can spend 80-90% of time working on projects and only 10-20% working on the shop.

Prashun Patel
01-14-2008, 1:05 PM
I'm about 90/10 too. But boy is that 90% fun. Making things for 'shop export' is not nearly as fun as trying out new techniques and making jigs and figuring out how to make scraps of wood into something useful.

My basement shop is truly my sanctuary. It challenges and centers my mind. I feel most at home and certain of who I am in my shop. Other people have wine or cigars or sports. This is my vice, and I'm proud of it.

Al Killian
01-14-2008, 1:22 PM
I do enjoy it to. I had to make frames for the new windows, well I decide to have fun and take a little extra time and make the frames with half blind dt.:rolleyes: Only have 6 more to assembly and it will be doneAtleast they wont fall apart anytime soon. I will try to get some pics. Now I need to find someone that likes standing, anyone willing?

Rod Sheridan
01-14-2008, 2:18 PM
Now I need to find someone that likes standing, anyone willing?

Al, I love standing, and since you're not far away ( I live in Toronto) I'd be pleased to come down and stand in your shop.

I'll even bring you some dark Canadian beer so we can stand around and do the creeker bonding thing.

P.S. If you meant sanding, forget it, I've got enough of my own to do...........Rod.

Bob Feeser
01-14-2008, 4:20 PM
I can't tell you how much time I have spent on my shop. It was mostly all shop for a long time. Blowing out the basement wall, expanding the old woodworking shop of my Dad's, into the big room, and took out the storage closet too. All shop now. No big deal but sufficient space at about 24 x 30. It takes up half the basement. I rewired like crazy, all dedicated lines to the box, installed quad flourescent lighting fixtures from Home Depus, the 4' times 4 bulb models, with pull strings in 6 double sections, built router tables, table saw extension table. Everything is a permanent station, although some things are on mobile bases so I can angle to accomodate clearances for extra long runs.
Now most of my time, when I use the shop is spent using it for projects. My biggest problem is that when I get into the thick of a project, I start piling waste scrap up alongside the miter saw, and table saw, and after a while, I have to watch where I am working. Any suggestions as to what to do with the scrap as it develops without interrupting work flow would be appreciated. With my system, after a while the whole shop needs a cleaning, and that becomes work.

Steve Clardy
01-14-2008, 6:35 PM
Ummm.

1% working ON shop

80% working IN shop

19% screwing off IN shop :rolleyes: [Like now :D]

Thom Sturgill
01-14-2008, 8:10 PM
I'm probably 50-50 for the last month or so, before that 100% shop since I just set up shop back in May, and had to build a workbench, tool cabinet and router cabinet, mount several tools on bases, and refurb (and now make) some planes. But I did build a little girl a doll cradle and my daughter a cabinet for her PC (not quite finished).

The important thing though is that I enjoyed it, and the LOML recognizes how much less tense I am. After a heart attack a decade ago, its good lose some of that stress.

Al Killian
01-14-2008, 8:57 PM
Rod, I forgot the part about standing on the ladder polishing all the T&G pine boards that cover the entire interior of the building.:D The second floor alone is 30' wide x 70' long x 12' high. Don't worry I have plenty of wax.:)