View Full Version : Windsor chair/bandsaw

Rick Strawser
02-28-2004, 7:02 PM
Interested in windsor chair making. One car gar..er, shop, hobby, non-production setting. Any chairmakers out there and what band saw (type/size) are you using? Riser block?

Currently looking at Delta/Powermatic/Lagunia 14". Do need more than this? Will be cutting seat blanks (white pine) and ripping blanks for turning spindles (oak/ash).

Does anyone use just a bandsaw, without a table saw for general woodworking? I have heard this is more common in europe. I will need to built shop cabinets/rolling cabinets and work bench. ( I am more Neander type than Normite). Or should I just bite the bullet on space and get a table saw with moble bases on everything?

All help is appreciated, thanks.

Jim Becker
02-28-2004, 7:45 PM
Rick, if you're primarily going to be doing chair-making, the band saw can certainly work well as the "primary" saw in your shop and it sure will leave a lot more room for your workbench, lathe and assembly area. If you are going to limit yourself to what you describe, a 14" saw will work just fine. You may be happier long-term with a beefier one, however, especially if it will be your only saw. IMHO, of course.

For your shop cabinets, you can easily use a circular saw and a guide to cut up the materials.

Mark Singer
02-29-2004, 12:10 AM
I agree with Jim, when I am making chairs I really only need the bandsaw and a 14" will do fine. Some of the chairs I have made have a deep solid back and need to be sawed with the table tilted and standing up...an 18" to 20" is perfect. If you are going to just do Windsors you will be fine