PDA

View Full Version : Advice on router cabinet under PM66 extension table

Scott Haddix
01-13-2008, 6:07 PM
I just purchased a 2 year-old, 5 HP PM66 with 50" extension and router lift ($1750, including a Porter Cable 7518 router! :D), and put a mobile base (HTC3000) under the body, but not yet under the legs. I am debating building out a router cabinet to control dust and building in drawers/storage for both router and table saw accessories under the extension table as part of it.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do this, or if it is even adviseable. Has anyone done anything similar to this, and are there any hidden 'gotchas' I need to take into consideration? I need to keep the unit mobile, so I anticipate needing to add locking casters to the bottom of the legs, at a minimum.

Any advice, recommendations, pictures/plans of comparable projects, etc, would be very welcome.

Brian Kerley
01-13-2008, 9:26 PM
Well, I've started designing something for my PM 66, though mine is from 1966 (it's like 2 times older than I am :-) )

Anyways, I'm going to do the same as you. I plane on putting the router at the very end so I can easily access the end of it. Then, I'm going to have drawers going along the end to hold router bits, wrenches, etc. Then, along the front of the cabinet, I'm going to have drawers to hold calipers, rules, pencils, saw blades...basically anything I need while I'm at the saw. And, if I have anymore space, then there will be shelves along the back.

I plan on having mine bolted to the cabinet, as well as to the mobile base (there are two holes for an optional wing support to keep it mobile. I plan on tossing a couple of casters on the end, and plan on using the locking casters already present to hold everything.

The only mod I plan on doing is running the DC for the router extension down the middle of the cabinet and drill a hole into the saw's cabinet itself, attaching the tubing to the cabinet of the saw. Also, I plan on putting some flashing on the inside of the saw to help direct the flow of dust out a new port on the back. The old saws basically had everything fall to the floor :-)

I've got some measurements and probably later this week I will reply with a sketchup plan of what I want to do.

Bob Feeser
01-13-2008, 9:59 PM
With the factory side extension table (I have a 2004 PM66 5hp with 50" side extension table) you will want to do some figuring about where the position of the router will go, and the fence, while keeping the router and insert between two of the ribs underneath the table top. How much surface area will you have for the stock to pass over the table if it is out on the end, or how much do you have to bend over to use the second opening deeper into the table. IMHO some figuring is in order. I forgot my exact thoughts 3 years ago, but I had an Incra fence with a cross member to factor into the equation, that needed that end of the extension as well, so I decided to create a separate roll around table with 2 router work stations on it instead. It also doubles as a support behind me when I am cutting large sheets of ply, because it is on a mobile stand, and it is the same height as the table saw.
I do not know if any of this fits your situation but I thought it should be something worthy of consideration, notwithstanding you probably have already considered it.

I just purchased a 2 year-old, 5 HP PM66 with 50" extension and router lift ($1750, including a Porter Cable 7518 router! :D), and put a mobile base (HTC3000) under the body, but not yet under the legs. I am debating building out a router cabinet to control dust and building in drawers/storage for both router and table saw accessories under the extension table as part of it.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do this, or if it is even adviseable. Has anyone done anything similar to this, and are there any hidden 'gotchas' I need to take into consideration? I need to keep the unit mobile, so I anticipate needing to add locking casters to the bottom of the legs, at a minimum.

Any advice, recommendations, pictures/plans of comparable projects, etc, would be very welcome.

Scott Haddix
01-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Actually, the TS is the version with the Rout-R-Lift System built in already, so I don't have any options on where it goes in the table. Although, the previous owner didn't have the router fence any longer, so I'll have to make/buy a new one for this table.

I have an existing router stand on a mobile base as well, but unfortunately it is taller than the PM66 and cannot be used in the same way yours can.

Appreciate the thoughts though!

Scott Haddix
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Great, thanks...I was born in 1966... :-)

Would love to see your designs as you get them completed. Thanks for the offer.