PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange HF - another collaboration

Tom Keen
01-13-2008, 4:59 PM
Osage Orange.. two part HF. about 8" in diameter, one coat of danish oil, buffed and waxed. The woodburning was done by Sharon Benedict... This one is going into a show/sale at a local gallery in Feburary... and I have no idea how to price it..suggestions?

Thanks for looking
Tom

John-Paul Murphy
01-13-2008, 5:04 PM
There is a good article on pricing in the Feb 2008 Woodworkers Journal. It would be a place to start and gives you most of the things to think about.

Bill Bolen
01-13-2008, 6:27 PM
Charge a bunch! Thats is quite unique and a very pretty piece. Congrats!....Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2008, 6:38 PM
Great looking hollow form Tom! Nice form, great color and finish!

Let Sharon know she does beautiful work!

Price is always a big question and it depends a lot on your area and what you are willing to let it go for. How well do you know the folks at the Art Gallery - they may have some input as to the range items normally sell for during their shows.

I wish you luck and hope to read soon that you were able to sell the hollow form for big bucks! Best of luck to you!

Allen Neighbors
01-13-2008, 7:05 PM
Twenty-thou... you can always go down a little... :D
I really don't have any idea, but that form is beautiful... and the burning just really adds to the beauty and makes it very unique.

Jim Becker
01-13-2008, 7:34 PM
Beautiful collaboration! And your partner in crime has a lot of talent with the heat which very nicely compliments your turning skills. 'Keep 'em coming!

Ben Gastfriend
01-13-2008, 8:23 PM
Beautiful! The turning is great and so is the woodburning. I got a woodburner a while back and have never been able to do much with it; before any nice drawing appears on the wood, a big red burn appears on my skin! Nice job to you and your friend!

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Beautiful piece Tom. I like the color, form and finish. Well done. Can't help ya with the price.

Richard Madison
01-13-2008, 10:59 PM
"Turnin' and Burnin'" by Tom and Sharon. I love it. Y'all just got to keep doin' that.

Good advice from Steve about pricing. A piece that I want $1,500 for ($10 an hour for my labor and no charge for $200 worth of materials) would be lucky to sell for $300 in a lot of places. Aim high, and/but be prepared to back down a bit.

That is nice work and there might be "niche market" for it in your area if you can get a few pieces out there. Best of luck.

Jon Lanier
01-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Tom,

That looks really good. I wouldn't know what to price that at... but it sure will be worth what ever you charge.

Alex Elias
01-14-2008, 2:43 AM
Can't help with the monetary questions but I really like the work done. Good luck on the sell

Paul Engle
01-14-2008, 2:48 PM
I go with 20$ pr hr ( that includes shop machine time) plus wood at 300% margin unless it was free , then 200% margin on the bf of the wood. plus 20% of the total labor in finish/materials which usually ends up the 1/3 of the price.I had to laugh at the segmented programe showing ring cost, I am making a single ring salad bowl and set for 300$ with the smaller bowls ( 5 1/2 inch x 2.5 in deep walnut/ with burled maple ring) at 40$ each. the rings cost me .69cents each but that does not reflect the LABOR to deliver these things.