PDA

View Full Version : I had no idea how slippery the slope really is!

Jack Ganssle
01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, the CL deal for a Jet 1236, 9 Sorby tools, Nova chuck, grinder with white wheels, and a few other things all for $375 was too good to pass up.

Then there was the chainsaw. Faceplates. Finishing stuff.

But how the heck do you get wood home in a Prius? So here's my latest turning accessory.

Tom Sherman
01-13-2008, 1:08 PM
Congratulations Jack, you're off to a good start.

Al Killian
01-13-2008, 1:13 PM
The next thing you know, you will take off running everytime you hear a chainsaw fire up.;) Then ther is always a freinds wood pile.

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2008, 1:33 PM
Congrats Jack!!! And to think... this is only the start of the Abyss!! Have fun with it all! We are all looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Jim Becker
01-13-2008, 1:59 PM
But how the heck do you get wood home in a Prius?

Well....I actually have done that with Professor Dr. SWMBO's 2002 Prius which is not as easy a job as with the more current design. But what you just acquired is certainly more versatile and you don't have the "benefit" of wood leavings and bugs on the interior when you, umm...load up with your bowls-on-the-hoof! Congrats!

Ben Gastfriend
01-13-2008, 2:45 PM
Congrats! The vortex is swirling!

Neal Addy
01-13-2008, 2:54 PM
I thought I heard a giant sucking sound back east. The vortex strikes again! Congrats!

Don't forget that other important "Turning Essential"... a big screen plasma TV. You'll need it to watch turning DVDs. :D;)

Bill Bolen
01-13-2008, 6:30 PM
Ahhh, the vortex! It just never seems to leave us....Congrats and enjoy....Bill...

George Morris
01-13-2008, 6:32 PM
Congrats, this is just the begining!!! George

robert hainstock
01-13-2008, 6:44 PM
That ought to do the job as long as you don't have to go to far back in jthe woods. :)
Bob

John-Paul Murphy
01-13-2008, 6:54 PM
Let me know when you’re ready I have a good line on trailers…:D

Allen Neighbors
01-13-2008, 7:13 PM
John-Paul beat me to it... I was going to mention a trailer... some of those chunks are really big!!
Glad you're really into it... don't forget to post turning pics! :D

Alex Elias
01-14-2008, 2:47 AM
Well seems like you take your hobies seriously. I give you lots of credit for that. Now you can pick up new tools with it. Do you have the band saw by now?

Randy Johnson
01-14-2008, 8:01 AM
As luck would have it, I already had a 3/4 ton 4X4 and a band saw when I was sucked into the vortex. I did have to shell out for a good chainsaw.
What nobody has brought up is the hidden and unexpected expenses.
Two Saturdays ago I acquired a nice haul of walnut. The following Monday I had to leave work at nine in the morning because my back hurt so bad I could barely walk.
In about an hour or so I should be back to work after three days flat on my back, two days sitting and walking with a lot of pain, two days finally getting over it, and four trips to the chiropractor.
But boy, did I have fun getting in that condition.

Jack Ganssle
01-14-2008, 8:34 AM
Alex,

Yup, got a Grizzly G0555X last year. I was on a biz trip to Toronto and decided to drive because, well, the route goes through Muncy, PA. It just BARELY fit in the Prius! Happily my wife didn't have to ride on the roof...

Jack

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Congrats Jack. Great gloat. You shouldn't have stepped on the banana peel and you wouldn't have slipped into the vortex.:D:cool::rolleyes: