PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw question

Chip Peterson
01-13-2008, 11:11 AM
We are in the process of evaluating lasers for a rather large job that will justify the purchase of a system. Since I currently don't have experience with CorelDraw, I'm hoping that I can tap the wealth of knowledge that I've found here.

Does CorelDraw contain a function that would allow sequential numbering (i.e.#65 of 130 issued)? As an example, if I can put 10 images on the screen for rastering at one time, does CorelDraw allow consecutive numbering or do I need to change each individually?

Thank you all

Garry McKinney
01-13-2008, 11:37 AM
You can do by layering and naming the layers or numbering. That will also allow you to control the burn operation.
You can also add a control layer to give you burn information, as well as combining pages which will keep a numeric control of page 1 - page X

Mike Null
01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I believe you can do this in "print merge" if you have a document to import from.

See Roy Brewer's tutorial.

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/swf_files/PrintMergeC.html

Larry Bratton
01-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Chip:
What Garry describes there works, but you will have create each individual number or letter.
Their is a mail merge feature that allows creation of a data file that can be used with that , but I'm not sure that will do what you want. Corel is basically a graphics and illustration program, not an engraving application. I have a rotary engraver that runs Vision Pro engraving software that has a feature called Badges, it it will do about the same thing as merge in Corel.

If I'm going to do multiples of say a sign, with different numbers, I use Step & Repeat ,which allows me to specify the number of objects horizontally and vertically,then I just edit my numbers. But by putting them on different pages (layers) you can print (engrave) table full after table full. You will of course have to load more material after running each one. But once the file is made your all set.
Good luck with your purchase.

Mark Winlund
01-13-2008, 1:53 PM
Roy's little movie is very helpful. I have used Xenetech rotaries for years, and their software will do all of this, but only for rotaries. Of course, the laser is slowly taking over most of this type of work because it is so fast. One problem that I have is that I have never used spreadsheet programs much (not since the early 80's! Remember Visi-calc?). Is there another way to easily create the data file mentioned without using spreadsheet software?

Mark

Peter Boyford
01-13-2008, 2:29 PM
I have to disagree with Larry on this one: Print Merge combined with imposition in print dialog will do, what you want. You need, of course, a source for your variable data.

In corel draw make a document the size of the desired final result and design your stuff on that page. Insert your merge fields.

If you use numbers, you could generate a CSV-file using Excel. Start by putting the first number in the desired sequence in a cell and then drag this cell in the border downwards. Excel should now make a list of incremented values, you can export to csv.

Remember that formatting of your merge fields will be kept during imposition, which means that as the numbers grow larger, the more space they take up. I usually center the merge field to eliminate the risk of a number getting outside the border.

When you impose your document, set the page size to the same as your workpiece (i.e. the material feeded to your cutter) and put as many "pages" on that page as possible.

Hope that helped.

Larry Bratton
01-13-2008, 4:32 PM
I have to disagree with Larry on this one: Print Merge combined with imposition in print dialog will do, what you want. You need, of course, a source for your variable data.

In corel draw make a document the size of the desired final result and design your stuff on that page. Insert your merge fields.

If you use numbers, you could generate a CSV-file using Excel. Start by putting the first number in the desired sequence in a cell and then drag this cell in the border downwards. Excel should now make a list of incremented values, you can export to csv.

Remember that formatting of your merge fields will be kept during imposition, which means that as the numbers grow larger, the more space they take up. I usually center the merge field to eliminate the risk of a number getting outside the border.

When you impose your document, set the page size to the same as your workpiece (i.e. the material feeded to your cutter) and put as many "pages" on that page as possible.

Hope that helped.
Peter:
Well, you have to create the files anyway. For the sake of expediency why not just do it page for page. To me you would have more control over the engraving also.
Just my two cents worth.

Gary Hair
01-14-2008, 3:53 PM
Peter:
Well, you have to create the files anyway. For the sake of expediency why not just do it page for page. To me you would have more control over the engraving also.
Just my two cents worth.

Larry,
That would work for a few, but what if you have 20 or 30 or even 100? The imposition tool works great for just about any quantity. You don't have to import from a csv file, you can enter the data within the imposition tool and even save it for later use.

Gary

Scott Shepherd
01-14-2008, 4:48 PM
I could be totally off base here, but I seem to recall that the print merge feature (used it many times and it worked well on the Epilog) may or may not work on the driver for other lasers. I could almost be certain that someone mentioned that ability was removed from some manufacturers driver and that there is talk about fixing the issue so it can be back.

Just know that going into the purchase and make sure you make them all show you just how they'd do a job like that if it's an important need for you.

Make them demo it to you.

Larry Bratton
01-14-2008, 7:53 PM
Heck, I guess I'm just inexperienced with having 100's of items to produce. I should be so lucky. Reckon I would figure it out at the time.

Scott makes a good point too, it might not work with every laser. I think the original question was "could you do it in Corel"

Roy Brewer
01-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Does CorelDraw contain a function that would allow sequential numbering (i.e.#65 of 130 issued)? As an example, if I can put 10 images on the screen for rastering at one time, does CorelDraw allow consecutive numbering or do I need to change each individually?Chip,
Indeed, CorelDRAW's Printmerge will do exactly what you want without an external data file. Tell it to start at 65 and end @ 131 (no I didn't misread your example, that's a tiny "gotcha" in the Printmerge function that has been there since Corel 10 and never fixed).

Gary's comment is correct. Instead of
put 10 images on the screen for rastering at one timeyou would put only one image on the screen and "hand" that to the imposition tool to specify how many Across/Down.
While I know it is against the rules to post a link to one's web site, possibly that can be relaxed in this case since this tutorial on my web site will explain, I believe, most everything you need to know. http://www.engravingconcepts.com/swf_files/PrintMergeB.html

Most everything? I, like Larry, saw that a post that states that a major supplier of lasers has broken their ability to handle Corel's Print Merge. While I find that hard to believe, no one has come back to say it is not true, so as he suggested, be sure your supplier demonstrates that capability.