PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Cutting Boards

Don L Johnson
01-13-2008, 9:12 AM
I'm doing some Wood Whisperer cutting boards; I have 3 of 6 sanded and ready for finish. I was watching his podcast and noticed he said to sand to 120 grit. I've sanded the first three to 220 grit. Should I "scuff" them up with a 120 grit pad before I apply the finish? Thanks.

Mike Cutler
01-13-2008, 9:17 AM
No, I wouldn't do it.

Wet the surface with alcohol and have a go with the 220 again( I use a sanding sponge) very lightly, just to remove the fibers that stand up.
Hitting them again with a 120 grit abrasive opens you up to the possibility of very fine abrasive lines showing through the finish surface.
If he's only going to 120 on the sanding, I wonder if he is applying a generous floodcoat with a finer grit. I haven't seen the technique. So I'm just theorizing here.

Pat Germain
01-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I've been making the same cutting boards for the past few weeks and I used 220 for the final finish. 120 left them a little too rough for my taste. I know Marc used his drum sander for his cutting board. I was thinking that may make a difference considering I don't have a drum sander.

You could always email Marc and ask him. He's very good about replying. Just keep your email short and to the point.

Bill Huber
01-13-2008, 1:13 PM
I plane the cutting boards and then start with 80 grit to get all the scratches off. I go to 120 to do the finial sand on it before the sealer. I am using a ROS on the top and bottom and I hand sand the edges, round over and groove.

After all the sealing is done I then do a last sand with 220 grit and put one more coat of sealer on it and its done.

I have found if you sand it to smooth to start with the sealer will not go thought to the other side as good. I think that it is just the sanding dust gets into the grain and plugs it a little.

Pat Germain
01-13-2008, 1:55 PM
Bill, are you using a template to cut the grooves in the top? Or, are you using some other method? I'd like to do the same.

Thanks.

Pat Germain
01-13-2008, 2:16 PM
FYI, I just watched Part 2 of the "A Cut Above" podcast and Marc does a final sanding with 220 just before he applies the finish.

Also, it's best to sand with a lower grit, then proceed to a higher grit rather than just doing a lot of sanding with a higher grit. Sanding with 120 then 220 will give you a better finish than just sanding with 220.

Bill Huber
01-13-2008, 2:46 PM
Bill, are you using a template to cut the grooves in the top? Or, are you using some other method? I'd like to do the same.

Thanks.

Check out these 2 theards, they have all the info in them.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68981

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66398&page=2

Pat Germain
01-13-2008, 4:42 PM
Got it. Thanks, Bill. Sorry I missed those threads when they were active. Your advice will be very helpful.