PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Handplane??

Martin Cash
01-13-2008, 4:38 AM
Can anyone help identify this mystery handplane.
I only have the body.
As you can see it is a number 3, and it is corrugated on the base.
It has an unusual frog seating which is flat and not sloped.
There is no frog adjusting screw hole.
The only markings are No 3 on the toe.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
MC

James Davis
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
It looks a lot like a Fulton #3 that I have. The one I have has a cast iron frog, you see a lot of them with a pressed steel frog. I am impresed with the one that I have, It really works well.

James Davis

steve swantee
01-13-2008, 5:54 PM
Hello Martin. I would say it's a Stanley Type 7 or 8
Steve

Phillip Pattee
01-13-2008, 6:16 PM
Hi,
I agree with Steve. That is an old style stanley bailey design that appeared prior to 1902, according to Patrick Leach, and it looks like the type 6 or 7. You can see picture of it at Patrick's Blood and Gore site and also at Rarebear's woodworking at Rex Mill.

steve swantee
01-13-2008, 6:21 PM
I don't think it is a type 6 because of the wide spacing between "No" and "3". This is why I believe it is type 7 (1893-99) or type 8 (1899-1902).

Steve

Thomas Knighton
01-13-2008, 6:51 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it also seems way to short to be a 7 or 8. Even a 5 looks like it would be pushing it.

Of course, that's just guesstimation since I don't really have any measurements or comparisons.

Tom

steve swantee
01-13-2008, 7:42 PM
Hello Thomas. The plane "No." refers to the size of the plane, but the "Type" refers to the particular features of a plane during it's years of manufacture. For example, the earliest version of the stanley plane known as type 1 (1867-69) has subtle differences from type 2 planes (manufactured 1869-73) and so on, all the way up to around type 20 I think.

Steve

Thomas Knighton
01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Steve,

I know the difference between Number and Type. However, apparently my reading retention went into the toilet today. Sorry about that! ;)

Tom

Derek Cohen
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
It is a Type 7 Stanley #3. The Type 8 has the same frog design but an "S" behind the frog attachment area.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don Orr
01-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry to be contrary here, but I don't recall any Stanley planes that had painted/Japanned frog bosses. Weren't they all machined flat ? This plane body appears to have a frog boss that is either Japanned or painted which, to me, would indicate a different maker. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It could be any of many lesser quality copies of Stanley.

Martin Cash
01-15-2008, 3:45 PM
Sorry to be contrary here, but I don't recall any Stanley planes that had painted/Japanned frog bosses. Weren't they all machined flat ? This plane body appears to have a frog boss that is either Japanned or painted which, to me, would indicate a different maker. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It could be any of many lesser quality copies of Stanley.
Hi Don,
I think that the base has been re-painted during its life.
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
MC:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: