PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Do This???

John Terefenko
01-12-2008, 9:27 PM
I am looking to put some beads on a flat grain piece of wood which I have mounted on a glue block. I have enclosed an example of what I want to do. The blue shaded area would be the bead. I would also like to do a 3 bead area in the middle of a similar piece with the center bead higher than the two flanking beads. My question is how do you do this and what tools to use??? Do you do this head on or from the side or from somewhere in between???

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2008, 9:35 PM
Here's what I would do.....I would use my parting tool to remove the bulk of the wood to the depth I wanted. I'd then switch to a 3/8" spindle gouge and just roll the sides of the bead and adjust the height as needed, then retouch the bead sides to make them a "bead". :D

I would stay away from using a skew on facegrain in this manner. ;)

John Terefenko
01-12-2008, 9:56 PM
Dennis

Where are you doing this from??? Do I put the tool rest squarely in front of the piece???

Allen Neighbors
01-12-2008, 10:20 PM
I would do it with the toolrest directly in front of the piece. However, I'm not the one that should be telling anyone how to make bead... I've only made about 6 or 7, and I can never get two of them alike.
I'm interested in all the different answers you'll get on this thread. Good post. Thanks.

Neal Addy
01-13-2008, 1:18 AM
Dennis nailed it.

Put the toolrest in front of the piece (parallel to the flat face).

Dave Noon
01-13-2008, 7:42 AM
Richard Raffan demonstrates this technique quite clearly in making a trivet on his "Turning Projects" video.
Dave

Dean Thomas
01-14-2008, 5:29 PM
And if cutting the beads with a gouge on the front of that piece scares the bejeebers out of you, you can use a scraper once you get rid of the wood in the valley(s). Sand it good and inspect it often. It's easy to mis-inspect for missed areas when you're doing things this way. Been there done that. Mis-inspected, that is.

Be sure to provide pix either of finished product or of your progress.

robert hainstock
01-14-2008, 6:15 PM
not gonna get sucked into this one. Good luck! :eek:
Bob