PDA

View Full Version : New life for a old saw

Don C Peterson
01-12-2008, 9:04 PM
I happened to see this saw on eBay.

It's really terrible what some people do to perfectly good saws. OK, if you want to take a junker, and paint some schlocky nature scene on it, fine, but a D-12 panel saw? Are you serious?

I recognized the outline of the handle from the pictures, and could tell that the upper horn was broken off. I thought that even with a broken horn, a number 12 panel saw, for $15 is not a thing to pass up.

When I got it, I was somewhat dissapointed, the handle was in much worse shape that I had feared. It had been very poorly repaired and was unusable.

I looked for quite a while, but I couldn't ever seem to find a handle for a D-12 panel saw, decent or not, so I fell back to Plan B. I decided to make my own handle. Sure having the original handle makes the saw more valuable, but I want it for using not for selling, so here I went.

I have never worked with Apple wood, and have no idea where to get any, but I do have some nice Walnut scraps from my last project...

I have a couple of D-12s but they are the full size hand saws and their handles are bigger, so I used the original handle as a pattern. I did use a full size handle to recreate the upper horn though.

Next, I cut the outline on the band saw and used the brace to drill out certain portions of the finger hole.

To be continued...

Don C Peterson
01-12-2008, 9:28 PM
Next I used a combination of rasps, files, and sandpaper to shape the handle, I wanted it to be a very detailed copy of the original so it took some time. I just kept thinking of all those guys who spend years shaping all those saw handles by hand, what a pain. I'm sure they got very good at it, but still...

Next I needed to cut the slot, I was lucky in that I have a band saw blade that has just the right kerf to make a nice tight slot.

Now on to the blade. I used plain old paint remover to do the initial clean up. As I got the paint off, I realized that the blade underneath was pretty rusty. I neglected to take pictures but take my word for it, there was lots of rust with some spots of serious pitting. Luckily, the real pitting was not right at the teeth and either right at the toe or the heel.

I was shocked to actually see any etching, but it turned out to be very legible, particularly after using Bob Smalser's trick of using a blueing solution on it.

Here's the first test fit.

Don C Peterson
01-12-2008, 9:33 PM
Here you can actually see the etching.

Finishing the blade off with 800 grit sandpaper I was now ready to drill the holes for the bolts.

And finally, here it is all done and ready for a nice Tung Oil bath.

I haven't attempted any chip carving, but I got a chip carving knife and I'm practicing so that maybe if I get good enough, I'll give it a go...

jonathan snyder
01-12-2008, 9:56 PM
And to think some poor soul spent hours painting that beautiful nature scene on there!!;);) Just kidding Don. You did a great job bringing resurrecting it. That handle sure turned out nice.

Painting saw should be illegal, especially #12's!!

Jonathan

Thomas Knighton
01-13-2008, 6:39 AM
Nicely done! The saw looks much better without that little scene!

Just think though...someone is bragging about how they've sold their work on eBay, not realizing that you just wanted the saw under it :D

Tom

harry strasil
01-13-2008, 9:11 AM
no apriciation for art, and it was even something you could tell what it was. LOL

George Sanders
01-13-2008, 9:51 AM
Well Done! I bought a couple of blades without handles and used some walnut scrap for handles. They are usable but nothing to compare with your work.:o
I detest painted saws. (I too have no appreciation of art.) Tools were made to be used; not hanging on the walls of cafes all across the country.
Personally I wish the "Patina Preservation Society" would just die in their sleep.:mad: Again well done. Just 'cause I'm ornery I suggest you send the seller pics of what you did to her "artwork?":eek:

Don C Peterson
01-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I'll admit that I'm not much for visual arts, I detest modern art, but I do appreciate the skill and effort required to create the classical masterpieces. I like to think that it's my limited ability to appreciate art that lead me to liberate this poor, abused saw from its schlocky prison :p;):D

glenn bradley
01-13-2008, 12:22 PM
That is a thing of beauty. Very nice job and an excellent post. Thanks.

Don C Peterson
01-13-2008, 5:09 PM
Thanks,

Here are some pictures of the handle and saw after a couple coats of Tung Oil. I just love what Tung Oil does for Walnut...

Now for all you carvers out there, I bought a Flexcut mini chip knife and have been experimenting with wheat carving. I'm happy with how the handle has turned out so far, but it just doens't look finished without the chip carving. I just don't want to screw it up...

Here's a scrap piece of Walnut with a sample of my efforts. Any suggestions or hints? Thanks.

Phillip Pattee
01-13-2008, 6:08 PM
Don,
My compliments to you. The tool makers art clearly has more asthetic appeal than the schlock makers art. Nice job on the handle!