PDA

View Full Version : possible purchase??

chris ormsby
01-12-2008, 9:02 PM
I have what I think might be a good lead. A friend of mine has a jet jwl 1236 lathe. 12" dia x 34 between centers. 3/4 hp. rpm range 550-3000, 1" 8tpi spindle. #2 morse taper head & tailstock. The headstock swivels for bowl turning in front of the bed. This machine still has the cosmeline on the cast iron surfaces. It has never been used at all. Does $400 sound ok with a set of 8 turning tools?
The old duro lathe I currently have is 50+ yrs old, and the motor hangs on a hinge below the bed. ( quite a lot of vibration ) and it only has a 3/4 dia spindle. I just went through chrome plating and regrinding the spindle. I also replaced the bearings. After all that It just seems the machine will never be rigid enough for bowl turning. Thanks in advance for all advice.

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2008, 9:42 PM
Chris,

The 1236 lathe was my 2nd lathe and it's a good lathe for what it was designed for. The real problem comes in with the Reeves Drive for it. Plus the 550 RPM is a tad fast if you want to turn bowl above the 8" finished size.

If you're just starting? Get it...if it comes with some turning tools? Get it. Remember......the lathe and the turning tool set are ONLY The Beginning of what you'll be spending. DAMHIKT!!!!!

Also be aware that one day very soon, you may have the desire/need to upgrade to a larger lathe. DAMHIKTE!!!!! ;)

David Wilhelm
01-12-2008, 9:58 PM
If you want a 1236 then i'd jump on it. they retail most places for around 600. you'll find sales and rebates. Used and beat up lathes go starting at 400.00 and end up going nearer 3-350.00 if the tools are anything at all even HF in HSS those are worth 36.00 in ash. 49.00 with the red handles. Sounds like a deal to me "IF" you want the lathe..........Will

chris ormsby
01-13-2008, 8:50 AM
I have been gearing up for a long time but the further I got into that old duro lathe, the more problems I encountered. I have a supernova chuck, a wolverine grinding system with a WC slow speed grinder, ans a set of 6 or 8 sorby turning tools. Now I just need a good lathe to support all these accessories

John Shuk
01-13-2008, 8:58 AM
I had a 1236. It is a servicable lathe but the truth is that I don't know many people who LOVE the machine. It seems that people move up to a better machine pretty quickly. Look around it is one of the most common lathes to find in the classifieds on most forums.
I would instead opt for a Mini. Probably the Jet VS which is a more cutting edge machine than the 1236 while giving up very little. The Delta shopmaster is at Amazon for $199. That is a good price for a non VS model. The realistic capabilities of the 1236 aren't much more than the Jet mini anyway. The build quality on the minis is much better than the lathes in the 12" to 14" full size range. They seem to be stuck in design limbo.
I got a set of tools with my 1236 passed along to me as well. If it is the same as the set I got it is junk. Carbon steel Jet branded and really not going to get you very far.
To me $400 isn't a "gotta move on this thing" price.

Gordon Seto
01-13-2008, 10:08 AM
John is right, once you tried what a real lathe should be.
The Jet 1236 was also my first lathe. I upgraded to a Jet mini lathe. The Reeves drives is high maintenance and not as steady as the mini lathe. This lathe is phasing out, being replaced by the 12X20. The Harbor Freight clone is almost identical except color. It is always on sale for around $180 before coupon.
I think this new model with 270 min. rpm and electronic variable speed is more desirable.

http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=648

BTW, the Harbor Freight red handle 8pc set (item #35444) is currently $40 online.

chris ormsby
01-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I guess with all the extra support tooling I have bought, I just want to buy one machine. I would rather not have one sitting around here waiting to find a buyer in order to make a spot for what I really need (or want). I do have $600-700 right now to play with, but would rather wait until I can get what will do what I want once. I can talk my way through one big purchase with the boss, but in six months, when it wasn't good enough, I would have a problem.
I have done this with most of my other machine purchases, and don't regret waiting for any of them. Thanks for holding my hand through this adventure.

Kevin McPeek
01-13-2008, 12:03 PM
In all honesty I'd pass on it. Not that its a bad lathe, but you'll outgrow it quickly. They were selling the Nova 1644 for $899 not too long ago and that IMHO is much better lathe for not a lot more money. Your last lathe... maybe. Depending on your wood supply, you don't get a lot of blanks over 16" anyway, and if you are buying them it gets real $$$. I have a DVR and a decent supply of wood but really only max the swing once in awhile. I would like more capacity but really don't need it.

Richard Madison
01-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Chris,
Ditto what Kevin just said. And at $700 you are already half way to a Jet 1642 with electronic variable speed. When you first get an EVS machine it will feel as though you just emerged from the stone age.

John Shuk
01-13-2008, 1:09 PM
I got my 16 inch Delta for $750 from a Creeker. I drove to NH to get it though. If you keep your eyes open good deals can show up. It seems folks are satisfied for alot longer with one of the mini lathes than they are with the "mid range" machines.
Good luck with the quest.

David Wilhelm
01-13-2008, 1:17 PM
Chris, only you know what you will enjoy turning and enjoy turning on. If you are looking to make a purchase and get started turning on a lathe and your friend has this lathe and you've had it running and know it then i stand behind mystatement that it's not a bad price. If you want to forgo the chance that in a year or a week you will outgrow it and need a monster lathe then by all means buy that one now. I had the HF copy and to me it was junk. could not keep a belt on it no matter what we did to it and the motor blew up. I've got a jet mini and a 1442 and love them both. If you plan on turning large bowls I'd advise in 220vt VS so you can get your RPMs down. I would rather have a 1220 and you can get that cheaper but you asked was getting this from your friend a good deal............. make him an offer see if he take it. Turn pens on it if you upgrade........

Gordon Seto
01-13-2008, 1:46 PM
The motor on my Jet 1236 quited after several months; the Reeves drive needed frequent attention. I got more enjoyment out of the mini than the 1236.

Jim Becker
01-13-2008, 1:57 PM
The 1236 is a very old lathe designed primarily for spindles. You can get essentially the same machine from Harbor Freight (34706) sometimes under $200. I agree with the others...not a good buy or investment if you don't want to re-buy in the recent future. Save your pennies for something with a more current and heavier design. IMHO, of course...

Justin Bukoski
01-13-2008, 6:05 PM
I have a 1236 and I'm not really that happy with it. I'll be trading up pretty soon. If you do get it make sure you weigh it down with as much ballast as you can get your hands on.

chris ormsby
01-14-2008, 1:53 PM
Most of these responses come back to the same decision. I think I will wait for the new jet mini to come out. Just reasre me that it will have slow enough rpm's for bowls? I want to turn bowls, pepper mills, shaker drawer pulls etc. I don't forsee any gateleg tables, or four poster beds in my near future.The bowl capacity is my main concern though.

Paul Engle
01-14-2008, 2:25 PM
I have had my 1236 for a year now and because it fits in my shop nicely on a work bench ,It works good for me. I have turned 16 in platters using the head stock turned out some. Not one sniffle from the reeves drive.I have convertered it to DC vs power as it was free to me.If I had to do it again I would wait on the 1440 or bigger and enlarge my shop....