PDA

View Full Version : flavafx.com anyone use

Micheal Donnellan
01-12-2008, 8:49 PM
http://www.flavafx.com/

Has anyone tried their stuff, the borders seem ok.
The wording of the terms of use has me slightly confused, easy to do when dealing with the annoyance that is copyright.

its says "Royalty-free stock vector art for personal and commercial use" on top of pages but TOU seems to say you can't sell stuff. Is it saying I can't sell work designed with the vectors or just I cant resell the the vector itself?

Bill Cunningham
01-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Probably just a warning that you can't gather them all up, and sell a cd with their stuff on it... If it says you can use it for commercial use, then I would guess that selling the image engraved on something is OK.. How else would you make commercial use of a graphic?

Janet Liddiard
01-12-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm new to this industry (only had my Epilog for 1 month), and have also been searching for royalty free clipart that's okay to engrave on items I sell. I looked at their terms, and I'll personally stay away from using their stuff. The part below makes me thing we cannot use it for commercial items (unless purchased through them).

Part of their Terms of Use:
"You may download or copy the Contents and other downloadable materials displayed on the Site for your personal use only. No right, title or interest in any downloaded materials or software is transferred to you as a result of any such downloading or copying. You may not reproduce (except as noted above), publish, transmit, distribute, display, modify, create derivative works from, sell or participate in any sale of, or exploit in any way, in whole or in part, any of the Contents, the Site.

The Contents on this Site may be used only as a shopping resource. Any other use, including the reproduction, modification, distribution, transmission, republication, display or performance of the Contents is strictly prohibited."

If you know of any other great sites, where we don't have to worry about copyright, royalties, etc. I'd love to hear about them.

Janet Liddiard

Mike Null
01-13-2008, 7:09 AM
Janet

Welcome to SMC.

If you can locate early versions of Corel--8 and earlier, they had very good clipart files. The software is not designed for XP or Vista but the clipart will work just fine.

Mike Hood
01-13-2008, 11:08 AM
I may be wrong here, but when they say "Royalty-free stock vector art for personal and commercial use"

That gives you the right to use it in any commercial manner. You're not selling their artwork, just using it on your own products. I think it's designed to keep you from distributing it (the artwork) on your own.

Garry McKinney
01-13-2008, 11:21 AM
What they are telling you is ,
1)You can use the patterns for your own use once they are downloaded.
2)You can produce items for sell and sell the items made from them.

3) They are not transfering the rights of the pattern.
4) You can not make a copy of their pattern and modify it to produce another pattern.
5) you can not make a copy and give it to your friends.
6) you can not sell the pattern.
7) you can not use it for ads or to promote your work.
8) you can not display the pattern to promote its use.

You can display the finished product and sell it.
But it has to be the finished work, not a copy of the pattern, and not the pattern it'self . Only the finished product.

To be honest , this is the standard for most copyright patterns. You buy the rights to use not the right of ownership.

Micheal Donnellan
01-13-2008, 5:48 PM
Thanks.
So basically I Can laser a design onto something and sell it good. I spotted some stuff that might be some good but not really sure of value for money. but given the prices some places want for art €100+ each, it seems ok.