PDA

View Full Version : Winged Bowl, ..... sorta

Dale Gregory
01-12-2008, 8:30 PM
Here is my 1st Winged Bowl attempt. Our Guild is having an elevated turning contest for the Jan. Luncheon so this was all I could come up, the bottom of the bowl is about 1/8" off the table :). I'm sure the talented people that attend will blow me away with their talent and artistry (there is some great turners there), but I just couldn't show up with nothing! The wings are a bit thick and could have been contoured more, but I was getting a lot of chatter on the whiriling ends (sharp are a razor before sanding) and was worried about wacking an end beyond repair so I stopped while I was ahead. These babies are a danger, I had to keep telling myself there is a blade in that blur thats waiting to cut your finger off :eek:. Anyway, it's an old piece of 2" (4/4?) dried hard maple a friend gave me. It's 9" in diameter, finished with Danish Oil and buffed. Dale

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2008, 9:36 PM
I like it Dale!!!! Very nice work on the piece. :cool:

Bill Bolen
01-12-2008, 9:43 PM
Whadda'ya mean "sorta"! That's a for-sure one! Bet the members of your guild will admire this greatly. I know I do!...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Looks really good to me Dale! Nice form and finish! Considering what you had to work with I'd say you got the maximum amount of bowl and height you could. The members of your Guild should be impressed! Nice work!

Allen Neighbors
01-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Really nice bowl. My only winged bowl looks like a dog's dish. This one looks like art!
My congratulations to you.... Good job on it.

Earl Reid
01-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Nice going, Dale
Earl

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Great looking piece Dale. I really like the piece. Well done.

Dale Gregory
01-13-2008, 8:51 AM
Thanks guys for the nice comments. I liked the way it turned out, although when I first started, I envisioned thin wings. But, you take what the wood will give you. I messed up my last bowl by not leaving enough thickness and sanded through the bottom, so that was still fresh in my mind. I'm finding out the learning curve is all about good technique and a lot of trial and error! Dale

Paul Engle
01-13-2008, 9:22 AM
Actually Dale, that's pretty cool,it would make a great candy dish or chip dish. I like it, and a smaller one for the dip.

Ben Gastfriend
01-13-2008, 3:59 PM
Good job! Who wouldn't like that bowl!?

Jim Underwood
01-13-2008, 8:41 PM
Yup those sharp corners flying by have a tendency to tighten up the old sphincters don't they? Hand sanding those aren't my idea of fun.:eek:

Nice job on that bowl.

FRITZ STOOP
01-13-2008, 9:25 PM
What I know about turning you could fit in that bowl, but I have a deep admiration for the skill. I own a couple pieces by Moulthrop and am in unmitigated awe when I spend time with them.
This bowl is very cool. Elegant, with a perfect amount of whimsy. Bravo!
Is there a place to see more?

Thomas Canfield
01-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Dale,

You said 9" diameter. Is that tip to tip or actural diameter of the "bowl" area? Either way, that is quite a blage turning out there. I haven't worked up the nerve to try one yet, but may start with an octagon to keep the sharp ends down some for the first go. It is quite impressive.

Brian McInturff
01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Dale, I like it a lot. I actually tried to make one of these not long ago and had envisioned it looking more like yours and the other typical ones. I always seem to mess the very ends of the wing tips up. You did a great job!!

Dale Gregory
01-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Thomas, 9" diameter bowl or 9" square, which ever way you want to look at it. Diagionally, it is longer.

Brian, I was starting to get a lot of chips on the wings even with a sharp tool, so I stopped before I had nothing left to sand. Maybe, it was my technique, but I'm guessing you really need super hard wood to make the wings thin.

Thanks for the nice comments, eveyone! Maybe, I need to make some of those cool looking eggs to put inside the bowl!

Dale