PDA

View Full Version : image and skin tone

louise smith
01-12-2008, 6:45 PM
HI, I'm a newbe and I have to do a picture of a dark skin baby on birch. Do I need to make any changes ? The baby has a white gown and hat on.
Will this work on birch ?:confused: Please help:)

Louise Smith
Epilog 24T 35W, Versacam 300Sp, Panther Cutter, laminator 38"

Larry Bratton
01-12-2008, 8:57 PM
HI, I'm a newbe and I have to do a picture of a dark skin baby on birch. Do I need to make any changes ? The baby has a white gown and hat on.
Will this work on birch ?:confused: Please help:)

Louise Smith
Epilog 24T 35W, Versacam 300Sp, Panther Cutter, laminator 38"
Louise:
Do you have Photograv? Post the pic, so we can see.

Frank Corker
01-13-2008, 6:14 AM
Louise, I have done quite a few pictures of coloured people on woods, provided the picture is good it shouldn't be a problem. When it comes to babies, generally the person taking the photo is so keen to get a close up that they get so close to the baby using a camera flash that could light up a warehouse, that the baby might as well have a dayglo baby suit on!

This leaves a contrast problem. You may have to take the picture into photoshop or other art package, use the 'lasso' tool and go right the way around the bright baby clothes. You can dumb them down quite a lot either by contrast or changing the colour and lightening the skin tones on the child.

Remember that your engraving is going to be light and dark and not colour. So if you change the clothing colour it could be to beige or pink. When it is converted to black and white the child's face and hands will become clearer and more even.