PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Knives

Vince Shriver
01-12-2008, 2:26 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the new cutters in jointers - have always used machines with three knives that rotate. What are your thoughts on these cutters - an improvement on jointer knife system; upside/downside to them? Vince

Steven Wilson
01-12-2008, 8:18 PM
What system are you talking about? There are many out there (Esta, Tersa, inexable carbide, etc). The cutterhead on my jointer/planer uses Tersa knives and it's great not having to align knives, just change and go. It makes it easy to use a slightly dull or nicked set for initial planing and then a good set for final work.

Mike Marcade
01-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm guessing he's talking about the Shelix type with indexable inserts, but I could be wrong. ;)

Vince Shriver
01-13-2008, 2:24 PM
Thanks Mike. I really had no idea of the different options available. But a qick google and I found the shelix cutterhead from the Byrd Co. The thing looks very slick. I'm going to be replacing my old 6" jointer this year with an 8" and am trying to go to school a little before I get serious about the purchase. Anyway, back to my original question: if it were you, what cutters would you be looking for in a jointer? I'm a hobbist so it won't be used like it would be in a cabinet shop.

Mike Marcade
01-13-2008, 5:14 PM
FOr the hobbyist I would suggest straight HSS or carbide tipped knives. There has been much debate of late about the merits of the helical cutter heads, but for the bang for the buck with light use I think the straight cutters are the best.

For higher use I think the Shelix type cutterheads would probably be worth their price premium.

Joe Chritz
01-13-2008, 11:32 PM
A spiral head will give you cuts with almost zero chip out and reduced machine noise. They also take less feed pressure than straight knives and replace, change easily. Being carbide the inserts last longer than HSS.

Normally HSS will give better cuts on wood (it can be sharpened sharper) but the spiral action of the Shelix makes up for the difference.

I like my 8" Shelix very much and wish I had one in the planer.

Joe