PDA

View Full Version : How many members to change light bulb?

Gary Keedwell
01-12-2008, 2:00 PM
I copied and pasted this little bit of humor::)

How Many Forum Members Does It Take To Change A Lightbulb?

a.. 1 to change the light bulb
b.. 1 to post that the light bulb has been changed
c.. 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
d.. 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
e.. 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
f.. 53 to flame the spell checkers
g.. 41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
h.. 6 to argue over whether it’s "lightbulb" or "light bulb"
i.. ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as @nal-retentive
j.. 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
k.. 15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
l.. 156 to email the participant’s ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"
m.. 109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
n.. 203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped
o.. 111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
p.. 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
q.. 27 to post URL’s where one can see examples of different light bulbs
r.. 14 to post that the URL’s were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL’s
s.. 3 to post about links they found from the URL’s that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
t.. 33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
u.. 12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
v.. 19 to quote the "Me too’s" to say "Me three"
w.. 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
x.. 44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
y.. 4 to say "didn’t we go through this already a short time ago?"
z.. 143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
aa.. 1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

http://www.woodworkslive.com/Themes/WWL/images/ip.gif Logged

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2008, 2:06 PM
I'm thinking this will insult someone and I'll have to close and move this thread!:eek::rolleyes::D

Chris Foley
01-12-2008, 2:10 PM
This is really good!! :D

Stephen Beckham
01-12-2008, 2:21 PM
I think the 27th one ('aa' for those that don't want to count) is about the funniest. I catch myself providing assistance to thread originators - then find out it's from 2005 that someone bump'd to the top...

Great post Gary!

Bruce Page
01-12-2008, 2:25 PM
ab.. 16 to bypass the OP completely and state that they use longer lasting LED’s instead of lightbulbs / light-bulbs / lamps. :rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
01-12-2008, 3:41 PM
GARY!!

This is one of the funniest and most laugh-provoking threads I've read in a long time. Mind if I borrow it???

Nancy

Gary Herrmann
01-12-2008, 3:45 PM
That reminds me of the time that the wife wanted me to go to HD to buy some new lightbulbs. Buy lightbulbs I said? Why I could just go downstairs and ...

Jesse Cloud
01-12-2008, 3:51 PM
Great Post! Thanks.

I would add though, that the list should probably also include someone asking what kind of bulb to buy, several responding they need to know the application first, then a long ruthless fight over which brand is the best and how much money one should spend on a lightbulb.:rolleyes:

Rich Stewart
01-12-2008, 3:51 PM
TOO FUNNY! That's one of the funniest pieces I have read in a LONG time. Thanks for the laugh.

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2008, 4:13 PM
Waaaayyyyyy to funny Gary!!!!!! Nice...real nice. :D

Gary Keedwell
01-12-2008, 5:22 PM
GARY!!

This is one of the funniest and most laugh-provoking threads I've read in a long time. Mind if I borrow it???

Nancy
Of course you can borrow it, Nance.....I borrowed it:eek::D

Gary

John Schreiber
01-12-2008, 11:50 PM
What about the posters who said we have to buy florescent bulbs to combat global warming.:D:D:D:D:D

Mike Marcade
01-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I have been on boards that do operate in that fashion (sad but true). I'm just thankful that SMC isn't one of them. :)

Michael Gibbons
01-13-2008, 12:21 AM
How about the posters that start talking about something totally unrelated to the original subject?? Come on.. you know who you are..

Pat Germain
01-13-2008, 1:45 AM
A few others...

- 3 to say you can get 100 light bulbs for $5.00 from Harbor Freight
- 10 to say Harbor Freight light bulbs aren't worth the glass they contain and will fail within minutes
- 15 to say Harbor Freigt light bulbs aren't so bad, as long as you don't expect them to last forever
- 2 to ask if Craftsman light bulbs are any good because they saw some nice looking examples at Sears last weekend
- 25 to say it's best to avoid Craftsman light bulbs, but some of the newer models might be OK if you install a Biesmeyer fence on them
- 7 to post very nice pictures of Craftman light bulbs equipped with a Biesmeyer fence
- 3 to say if you're going to by light bulbs, you should buy high-end European models because everything else is Chinese Communist junk
- 50 to say not everyone can afford European light bulbs, and some of the Chi-Com bulbs are actually very nice
- 1 to say technology for light bulbs that never burn out is being supressed by the government and the media is a co-conspirator for refusing to report this fact
-1 moderator to warn they'd better knock off discussing politics and the media or the thread will be closed
- 2 to ask if it's OK to put light bulbs on a mobile base
- 4 to say, "No. Putting light bulbs on a mobile base isn't safe"
- 10 to answer, "Yes" and post very nice pictures of their light bulbs on assorted mobile bases
- 3 to recommend wearing a dust mask when replacing light bulbs
- 5 to advise a resperator would be better to filter out any dust from the burned out bulb
- 2 to say wearing a dust mask or resperator when changing light bulbs is dangerous and should only be done so with a cyclone filter capable of removing dust down to .000000001 microns
- 1 moderator to say, "Knock it off with the dust collection debate or I'll close this thread"
- 2 to ask, "How tight should a light bulb be installed in the socket?"
- 87 different opinions for light bulb torque specifications
- 6 to recommend using a splitter for all light bulb replacement operations
- 2 to say only wienies use splitters and old time light bulb technicians never used them
- 7 to point out how many old time light bulb technicians are missing a few digits because they didn't use a splitter

Rick Gifford
01-13-2008, 3:12 AM
3 to say "New member here, great place! Wonderfull information on lightbulbs!"
97 to reply "Welcome" and make sure you contribute!
53 to reply they are tired of the lightbulb contribution comments.
143 to reply lightbulbs aren't free so what can you do?
2497 posts on whether lightbulb discussions should remain ad free.
4 admins to be committed to the loony ward for dealing with it all.

Ok, I know you rolled your eyes :)

Randy Klein
01-13-2008, 7:08 AM
I copied and pasted this little bit of humor::)

How Many Forum Members Does It Take To Change A Lightbulb?

a.. 1 to change the light bulb
b.. 1 to post that the light bulb has been changed
c.. 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
d.. 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
e.. 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
f.. 53 to flame the spell checkers
g.. 41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
h.. 6 to argue over whether it’s "lightbulb" or "light bulb"
i.. ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as @nal-retentive
j.. 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
k.. 15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
l.. 156 to email the participant’s ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"
m.. 109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
n.. 203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped
o.. 111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
p.. 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
q.. 27 to post URL’s where one can see examples of different light bulbs
r.. 14 to post that the URL’s were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL’s
s.. 3 to post about links they found from the URL’s that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
t.. 33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
u.. 12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
v.. 19 to quote the "Me too’s" to say "Me three"
w.. 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
x.. 44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
y.. 4 to say "didn’t we go through this already a short time ago?"
z.. 143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
aa.. 1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

http://www.woodworkslive.com/Themes/WWL/images/ip.gif Logged

Me too :D

Bob Childress
01-13-2008, 7:50 AM
Me too :D

Me three! :cool:

Gary Keedwell
01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
A few others...

- 3 to say you can get 100 light bulbs for $5.00 from Harbor Freight
- 10 to say Harbor Freight light bulbs aren't worth the glass they contain and will fail within minutes
- 15 to say Harbor Freigt light bulbs aren't so bad, as long as you don't expect them to last forever
- 2 to ask if Craftsman light bulbs are any good because they saw some nice looking examples at Sears last weekend
- 25 to say it's best to avoid Craftsman light bulbs, but some of the newer models might be OK if you install a Biesmeyer fence on them
- 7 to post very nice pictures of Craftman light bulbs equipped with a Biesmeyer fence
- 3 to say if you're going to by light bulbs, you should buy high-end European models because everything else is Chinese Communist junk
- 50 to say not everyone can afford European light bulbs, and some of the Chi-Com bulbs are actually very nice
- 1 to say technology for light bulbs that never burn out is being supressed by the government and the media is a co-conspirator for refusing to report this fact
-1 moderator to warn they'd better knock off discussing politics and the media or the thread will be closed
- 2 to ask if it's OK to put light bulbs on a mobile base
- 4 to say, "No. Putting light bulbs on a mobile base isn't safe"
- 10 to answer, "Yes" and post very nice pictures of their light bulbs on assorted mobile bases
- 3 to recommend wearing a dust mask when replacing light bulbs
- 5 to advise a resperator would be better to filter out any dust from the burned out bulb
- 2 to say wearing a dust mask or resperator when changing light bulbs is dangerous and should only be done so with a cyclone filter capable of removing dust down to .000000001 microns
- 1 moderator to say, "Knock it off with the dust collection debate or I'll close this thread"
- 2 to ask, "How tight should a light bulb be installed in the socket?"
- 87 different opinions for light bulb torque specifications
- 6 to recommend using a splitter for all light bulb replacement operations
- 2 to say only wienies use splitters and old time light bulb technicians never used them
- 7 to point out how many old time light bulb technicians are missing a few digits because they didn't use a splitter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/Video/LaughHard.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/Video/ROFL.gif Pat..too funny...I can see you put alot of thought into it. Can I copy your post?:confused:;):D
Gary

Jim Tobias
01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
aaa. 6 to say that they heard that Festool is coming out with a revolutionary, highly engineered light bulb that lasts forever, but it won't be available in the US for a coupe of decades.

Jim

Gary Keedwell
01-13-2008, 11:10 AM
aaa. 6 to say that they heard that Festool is coming out with a revolutionary, highly engineered light bulb that lasts forever, but it won't be available in the US for a coupe of decades.

Jim
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dirtbox/pics/muttley.gifGood one, Jim. We can't have the Festoolians feel slighted, now, can we???;):D
Gary

Pat Germain
01-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Jim

... and, when it is available, you'll have to pay for it in Euros.

Gary, if you really want to copy my post, feel free to do so.

Robert McGowen
01-13-2008, 1:29 PM
I just saw an entire case of light bulbs on Craig's List for $39.95. I have seen them for over $100 a case before. I am sure that this will not be my last light bulb purchase, but for this price, do you think I should buy the light bulbs? I am thinking about just saving for 12 years and buying a trailer load of bulbs so that I will never have to buy light bulbs again. What do you guys think? :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2008, 1:37 PM
Robert....what kind of drugs does your doctor have you on during your recovery?.......:eek::rolleyes::D

Michael Gibbons
01-13-2008, 2:15 PM
1 to say he's be lurking here a few months and gained much knowledge.
2 newcomers that beleive in the lightbulb torque wrench and wonder where they can get one.
37 post wondering why anyone would shop at Harbor Freight
37 more that defend Harbor Freight viciously. They state that HF's WWing hand tools are just as good and accurate as Lie-Nielsens.
Moderator chimes in and says not to bother people about contributing. Thats why theres benefits to contributors.

Zahid Naqvi
01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
for the sake of putting in some representation on behalf of fellow neanders:cool:

-1 to say there is nothing that beats changing the light bulb by hand, there is something soothing about the contact of hand on glass that can't be beat
-12 to voice their approval and share how they got into changing bulbs by hand and have gotten hooked since
-6 to tell how this guy in California is blowing bulbs by hand, and how these bulbs are so superiors to the production line versions.
- 23 to complain about the over priced hand blown bulbs, and how much easier it is to just go to a flea market buy a used bulb for mere cents and restore it to full operation.
- 9 to share the laminated method of constructing light bulbs in your own shop.
- 2 to boast about the Phillips pre-war #1 that they found in a garage sale in mint condition for just $5, the same bulb has a current market value in the antique market of $3000.
- 500 to start complaining that bulbs are made for using and not collecting, and how these collectors are jacking up the price of all vintage bulbs that have plenty of lumens left in them but end up on a display shelf collecting dust.

you get the drift :D
Gary, I needed this after a 14 hour work day on a Sunday (punishment for being on-call).

Gary Keedwell
01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
:D:D Man, I'll tell ya, there sure is alot of witty people on this forum. Zahid, the long hours sure didn't hinder your great sense of humor.;):)

Gary

Jon Lanier
01-14-2008, 12:15 AM
How about the posters that start talking about something totally unrelated to the original subject?? Come on.. you know who you are..

I always understood that the golden rule for changing a topic in a thread was 7 post. Then it is perfectly legal to hop topics with in the same thread.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2008, 12:24 AM
I've got a question.....................

Did they ever get the light bulb changed and if so how many members did it take?..........Or is this another online poll?:rolleyes:

Bob Childress
01-14-2008, 6:28 AM
I've got a question.....................

Did they ever get the light bulb changed l?:rolleyes:

Yes, eventually. It was posted as a WIP with plenty of pictures and took about 3 months to complete. ;)

Andy Hoyt
01-14-2008, 6:32 PM
for the sake of putting in some representation on behalf of fellow neanders:cool: -....... Somewhere out there, perhaps waay out there are the pre-neanders (aka those lowly AustraloCandlepins) who will post that they are suing Thomas Edison in absentia for his misappropriation of their sacred Candlepower Gods to rate the luminosity all artificial light forms.