PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM2000 Motor Problem

Eric Garner
01-12-2008, 1:26 PM
PM's offices are closed. So, I can't get any help from them until Monday. Hoping someone on the forum has had a similar problem and can help me out.

I have had my PM2000 since around October of last year and have only completed a few small projects with it. Today my motor stopped working!:mad:

I have been using the TS all day to cut up some 3/4" birch plywood. Started making my datto cuts after lunch. Made a few passes.... stopped the saw. Got my next panel, hit my green start button, and the saw tries to start and then cuts off. I unplugged the saw checked I that I had enough voltage plugged it back in and the same thing.

Normally when I turn it on it goes zero to full speed instantly. Now it tries to start very slowly (motor sounds like it's having a hard time) then it stops. Any ideas? I'm very frustrated at this point.... shouldn't be having motor problems this early on with a $2,300.00 saw.

Thanks,

Eric

Jim Solomon
01-12-2008, 1:34 PM
I read a few posts concerning this in other forums. They had there motor replaced by PM. Apparently this motor isn't a Baldor. I would first unplug the saw and check to make sure nothing fell into it that may be binding. Does the blade spin freely by hand? Again, please make sure the saw is unplugged from the power source. If that isn't the culprit I would call Powermatic as soon as feasable.
Jim

Sean Troy
01-12-2008, 1:41 PM
I read a few posts concerning this in other forums. They had there motor replaced by PM. Apparently this motor isn't a Baldor. I would first unplug the saw and check to make sure nothing fell into it that may be binding. Does the blade spin freely by hand? Again, please make sure the saw is unplugged from the power source. If that isn't the culprit I would call Powermatic as soon as feasable.
Jim

Hey Jim, do you know a Jim Molchan from Oliver?

Eric Garner
01-12-2008, 1:45 PM
Yeah, besides testing the voltage at the outlet the other thing I did was check inside the cabinet, checked the belt, and spun the blade. Everything appears normal. Blade spins freely.

I tried calling Powermatic, but they are closed until Monday. This really stinks. Does anyone know if they will send someone out to take a look/fix the motor? I don't feel like I should have to do that myself. The saw isn't even 5 months old. Anyone know how long I can expect to be without my saw? Does PM have pretty quick turn around times for repairs like this?

Thanks,

Eric

Chuck Lenz
01-12-2008, 1:53 PM
Does anyone around you sell Powermatic ? One reason to buy new locally if possible. But who knows, maybe they will help you out to get future bussiness.

Justin Bukoski
01-12-2008, 1:58 PM
sounds like a bad start capacitor. you may be able to find one at a local motor repair shop or electronics supply.

Mike Heidrick
01-12-2008, 2:01 PM
This is the fourth PM2000 motor problem I have read about and my buddy locally had a problem as well. In all cases it has been the motor starter capacitor.
Pretty simple fix I guess. Contact PM and your dealer. My buddies dealer sent a complete new motor (sent to the dealer from PM/WMH) and one of their staff to my friends home. He bought from a Woodwokers Shop that is also a rockler outlet.

Phil Thien
01-12-2008, 2:04 PM
I seem to remember something about some overload protection on these not being able to handle the added mass of the dado head or something? I sorta remember an adjustment that was possible inside the magnetic starter that would make them go?

Am I imagining things?

Eric Garner
01-12-2008, 2:10 PM
Ok, quick update.... I just took my datto blade off and put my WW2 on. Motor starts up fine. Put the stacked 3/4" datto back on and motor tries to start but quits.....

According to my PM2000 manual, the saw should be able to handle a datto up to 13/16". So, I am with in the limits of the saw, but the motor can't handle the datto blade.

I guess I'll be calling Powermatic first thing Monday morning so that they can have someone out to fix the problems.

I've never been able to spell..... dado... not datto.

Jim O'Dell
01-12-2008, 2:22 PM
Looks like Phil nailed it! Try a search on that type of repair and see if you get any hits. Does PM have a forum on their web site? If so, may be able to find the fix there. Jim.

Joe Jensen
01-12-2008, 9:51 PM
Ok, quick update.... I just took my datto blade off and put my WW2 on. Motor starts up fine. Put the stacked 3/4" datto back on and motor tries to start but quits.....

According to my PM2000 manual, the saw should be able to handle a datto up to 13/16". So, I am with in the limits of the saw, but the motor can't handle the datto blade.

I guess I'll be calling Powermatic first thing Monday morning so that they can have someone out to fix the problems.

I've never been able to spell..... dado... not datto.

There is an adjustment in all magnetic starters that I've read about that I think is related to your problem. The magnetic starters I am familiar with have a current protection mechanism that is adjustable. I suspect Powermatic will be able to tell you which screw to turn and how much.